Default Pre-Employment Medical Screening Problems

My question involves labor and employment law for the state of: Florida

I was laid off of my last job at a factory about 6 weeks ago. After 3 or 4 weeks, I managed to get hired at the hospital where my sister works as a patient attendant. At the interview, when asked if I had any disabilities that they needed to know about I told them that I have erb's palsy (barely noticeable - I've worked so hard to be able to do what everyone else can). I also told them, as they could see from my work history, that I have done factory work and I have worked in other physically demanding positions. (I consider carrying TVs demanding to a girl who's 5'1".) I went to two days of orientation and then they told me I would not be able to go to work or finish orientation until I get a doctor to sign a paper about my physical abilities. I told them up front that I don't have a doctor or insurance so they told me to go to walgreens clinic or a convenient care. In the past two weeks, I have tried every clinic and tons of doctor's offices, but no doctor will do the exam because they don't have weights to measure what I can lift, which is one of the questions. I told the people in employee health and they just told me to try the yellow pages. They were pretty rude by then because I kept asking for help. I found a physical therapist (only one in my city willing, I called them all) who would do it, but he's not a doctor. Now she says I have to go to the PT and then to another doc and get them both to sign. I don't have $200 to pay for two doctor's visits when I've been out of work for 6 weeks. I don't believe that's the only way to get this done. I'm trying to work with these people but I'm fighting for an $8/hr job. I just really don't know what to do. Is this discrimination? No other employees have to do this and the only way to end up in the two doctor dilemma I'm in is to have a problem with your arm so the doctor would require weights. There's a weight room at the hospital. Why can't I pay a hospital doc $100 to come watch me lift the dumb weight? A PT can do a worker's comp exam, so I don't see why they can't do a pre-employment screening. Any advice would be helpful. I'd just find another job, but it's hard to find a job down here right now.

Default Re: Pre-Employment Medical Screening Problems

Q: Is this discrimination?

A: Yes, it is clearly discrimination, plain and simple.

What SJ has failed to mention is that most discrimination is legal. What do you think is illegal about their wanting confirmation that you will be able to do the job?

Quote Quoting cbg
    View Post
    What SJ has failed to mention is that most discrimination is legal. What do you think is illegal about their wanting confirmation that you will be able to do the job?
    You ruined it for me!

Thanks for the replies.

I understand that they'll want to know I can do the job. I just don't understand why a hospital can't help me find a doctor that will do it. I have called or walked into 30 offices and none will do it, despite employee health telling me a family doctor could do it. I told employee health the reason (they don't have weights), but they just tell me to use the yellow pages. They are the opposite of helpful.

Anyway, thanks again.

It is not the hospital's obligation to help you find a doctor who will do it.

But you could try calling the local office of the AMA - they might be able to help you.

1. Sponsored Links