Default Police Coming On My Property

My question involves police conduct in the State of: washington

i was just curious about if i have a fence up in my driveway are the police still aloud to enter? i also asked them to leave my property and they did not do so and walked around to the back of my house to check things out because they suspected me of having a party. i was not having a party with any drinking it was just a few of my friends hanging out in my back yard. also there were no signs that would have implied i was having an alcoholic underage party.

were they aloud to do this. i thought that if there was a gate they were not aloud to enter. do i need to put up a no trespassing sign with contact information on it?

Default Re: Police Coming On My Property

Quote Quoting johnnymo08
    View Post
    i was just curious about if i have a fence up in my driveway are the police still aloud to enter? i also asked them to leave my property and they did not do so and walked around to the back of my house to check things out because they suspected me of having a party. i was not having a party with any drinking it was just a few of my friends hanging out in my back yard. also there were no signs that would have implied i was having an alcoholic underage party.

were they aloud to do this. i thought that if there was a gate they were not aloud to enter. do i need to put up a no trespassing sign with contact information on it?
    Whether they were allowed to enter depends on what their articulated cause was. They would not be allowed to enter unless they had good cause, but if no one was cited and no evidence seized, all you might have is a personnel complaint.

Note that if the police are there with what they believe is good cause, asking them to leave is NOT going to work. I once had to arrest a woman who actually tried to bar our way into her backyard ... that's where the teenagers with the beer in their hands ran.

In any event, contact their agency and complain if that's what you wish to do.

- Carl
    Retired Cal Cop Sergeant & Teacher

Seek justice,
    Love mercy,
    Walk humbly with your God

-- Courageous, by Casting Crowns ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkM-gDcmJeM

1. Sponsored Links