My question involves unemployment benefits for the state of: California.

I have worked as an instructor for almost 9 years at a vocational school in the Los Angeles area. In January, a new Executive Director of the school was put in. 28 years old and very unprofessional, he mocked minorities (students and faculty) and monitored my classroom through cameras without first warning me.

I became very uncomfortable in this environment and contacted the head of HR. She investigated and found that there was no illegal activity and no cause to terminate the Executive Director. However, she assured me the above situations would not happen again. She also said they would not contest an unemployment claim if I resign. I have grown very uncomfortable in this environment of unethical behavior and am in no condition to return to work. I talked to a doctor, who wrote me a perscription of Xanax and said they would sign disability papers for a month.

My questions are:
Should I claim disability before unemployment...or should I just go straight to the unemployment claim?

Since this would be a voluntary resignation, would my unemployment claim even be approved? How so?

Thank you so much for reading. I would appreciate any help you can provide.