Default Guardianship For Someone Over Age 18

For the state of Florida, I will be going on a cruise on Carnival to the caribbean with my girlfriend. She will be 18 and I will be 23. The cruise terms state that you must be 21 to go alone, or be with someone 25+ if under 21. The age rule is waved if that person under 25 is your guardian. So the only way we can go on the cruise is if I am her guardian. Is assigning a guardian even possible if the person in question is 18 and now an adult? Would you be able to assign guardianship without the need of a court/judge? Can she assign me guardianship without her parents signatures? I will only need to be guardian for 8-10 days.

Thanks,

Chase

Default Re: Guardianship For Someone Over Age 18

Can she assign me guardianship without her parents signatures?
    She won't grant you guardianship without an incredibly good reason. This is not a good reason.

Guardianship is not meant to allow people to circumvent a business' rules. It's a time consuming and costly undertaking that grants a guardian certain legal powers over his or her charge.

It's not in your girlfriend's best interests for you to be possessed of these legal powers.

Typically, you would have to prove that an adult is legally incapacitated (e.g., by disease, mental illness, developmental disability, or severe drug or alcohol dependency) in order to obtain guardianship.

The rule appears to be in effect so that young parents or guardians can travel with their minor children or wards. I don't think you're going to find a way around it, unless you convince Carnival to waive the rule in your case.

alright, well thank you for your time

1. Sponsored Links