Default Car Towed and No Documentation for Bill

My question involves a consumer law issue in the State of: Florida

My car was recently towed from the car garage at my condo. I am a resident and apparently my tag had just expired. My car was towed by the wonderful HOA. I understand, the rule is in my lease about my tag. It was my fault. However, the towing company claims that they have had my car for a week which is not true. They are demanding $600 for the week for storage, towing, and have already put a lien on my car.
    After explaining that they are careful to document everything in regards to ticketing windows and towing (to avoid fines by the state), I requested some sort of documented statement of the bill that was owed by me. They said that they would give me one AFTER I paid. They also told me that their business only accepts CASH. Legally, can they require me to pay cash without giving me a bill with all the details of my tow? I am reluctant to pay anyone cash without paperwork whether it is from a friend or a stranger.
    Please let me know what I can do. Thanks for taking the time to answer questions such as these.

Default Re: Car Towed and No Documentation for Bill

Quote Quoting betheremnant
    View Post
    My question involves a consumer law issue in the State of: Florida

My car was recently towed from the car garage at my condo. I am a resident and apparently my tag had just expired. My car was towed by the wonderful HOA. I understand, the rule is in my lease about my tag. It was my fault. However, the towing company claims that they have had my car for a week which is not true. They are demanding $600 for the week for storage, towing, and have already put a lien on my car.
    After explaining that they are careful to document everything in regards to ticketing windows and towing (to avoid fines by the state), I requested some sort of documented statement of the bill that was owed by me. They said that they would give me one AFTER I paid. They also told me that their business only accepts CASH. Legally, can they require me to pay cash without giving me a bill with all the details of my tow? I am reluctant to pay anyone cash without paperwork whether it is from a friend or a stranger.
    Please let me know what I can do. Thanks for taking the time to answer questions such as these.
    I would send them a Request Return Receipt mail, request an invoice that detail your charges and you'll pay the bill, that will give you some kind of proof that you request the bill and you never got one.

Did you ask them the date the car was tow? I'm sure a towing business will accept credit card, checks and cash.

1. Sponsored Links