Default Shared Property Dispute

My question involves real estate located in the State of: PA

i have an uncle who back in the 50's built a cabin with a few other guys. if my uncle passes away his possessions will more than likely go to my father, his only living relative.

how does a situation like this usually play out if something would happen to him? would his "share" be passed on legally?

basically we have a piece of real estate with LOTS of childhood memories involved that i would hate to lose (would like to share them with my kids someday) and the other owner's son who is acting like he owns the place and wants to take control.

what should i look into? check the land deed for names first? can i do that at the county buildings?

thanks for any advice

Default Re: Shared Property Dispute

Does your uncle have a will, or other estate plan?

You can investigate with the register of deeds for the county in which the real estate is located, to find out how the property is titled.

Default Re: Shared Property Dispute

i have an uncle who back in the 50's built a cabin with a few other guys. if my uncle passes away his possessions will more than likely go to my father, his only living relative.
    Unless there is a will, his estate would be distributed per the laws of intestate succession of Pennsylvania. Here is a simple description of those laws http://www.wolfbaldwin.com/lawyers_a...nnsylvania.asp

how does a situation like this usually play out if something would happen to him? would his "share" be passed on legally?
    Dependding on how title to the real estate is held and presuming there is no will, his estate would be distributed as the laws noted above direct.

basically we have a piece of real estate with LOTS of childhood memories involved that i would hate to lose (would like to share them with my kids someday) and the other owner's son who is acting like he owns the place and wants to take control.
    and the other owner is saying what?

what should i look into? check the land deed for names first? can i do that at the county buildings?
    the deed would be at the county register of deeds. If the land is held jointly, the surviving owner would take title to the land in its entirety. If it is tenants in common, a will or the laws of intestate succession would direct the dispursal of the estate.

So, where is your uncle in all of this? It would be up to him to write a will, or not, if he desires.

would his "share" be passed on legally?
    he only has a share if he is on the title to the property. That fact would need to be determined first before hooking the horse up to the cart.

1. Sponsored Links