Default Getting License Back, While on Prescription Drugs

I reside in PA

I currently am On multiple medications for back issues, Valium and Oxycontin. I have been on high levels of these legal narcotics since march.

I will be able to get my license back in September and expect to be driving sometime around October or earlier.

Would driving under the influence of either of these drugs be illegal? Keep in mind, I need to take this medications all the time. I can't just not take it, even if I did the day i was driving, it would still come up in my system.

Am I technically not allowed to drive? While I have such a high tolerence I am perfectly capple of driving or doing anything while on these medications, and I do have a legal RX for them, what would I do if i got in an accident and they requested a blood test?

Valium need to be taken constantly or i could have serious withdraw symptoms, and I am in constant pain, so I need me other medication.

Default Re: Getting License Back, While on Prescription Drugs

If in fact your driving is impaired as a result of your taking prescription medications, you should not be driving. Talk to your doctor about whether or not you should be driving.

Know that if you talk to your doctor about driving there is a good chance that you will lose your license.

In PA all it takes is a letter from a doctor to PennDOT to have a license revoked. They are legally required to submit that form letter for any reason they believe would prevent you from driving safely. If you ask your doctor about driving on these medications that could trigger that letter. A doctor is responsible for a patient that he/she should have known was not capable of operating a motor vehicle safely.

It will then be your responsibility to prove to PennDOT that you can operate a motor vehicle safely. This is not something you want to do. It is not easy and can take a long time.

Your question can not be answered here. I have seen DUI cases where the defendant was able to prove that he was not impaired by the narcotics in his system. There argument was made that the drugs clearly state that you should not operate a motor vehicle or machinery...and so on. The defendant showed that such a tolerance was built to the drugs that the level in his system at the time was not enough in this judges eyes to convict a DUI.

Will you get that lucky? Can you prove this tolerance? Do you even want to be in that situation?

I can't tell you what to do with your life, I can only share my experiences and hope it makes your decisions easier.

Vince

Quote Quoting aaron
    View Post
    If in fact your driving is impaired as a result of your taking prescription medications, you should not be driving. Talk to your doctor about whether or not you should be driving.
    I am fine, even my non narcotic meds, zoloft and a blood pressure med says may cause dizziness/drowsiness, use cation when using machinery

Quote Quoting xkwox
    View Post
    I am fine, even my non narcotic meds, zoloft and a blood pressure med says may cause dizziness/drowsiness, use cation when using machinery
    Driving while impaired by any substance, legal or illegal, is prohibited.

Even if.

Quote Quoting cyjeff
    View Post
    Driving while impaired by any substance, legal or illegal, is prohibited.

Even if.
    So I guess I can file for disability if i can not drive to a job that can not be accessed by public transportation

"impaired" you can be that from stress, smoking cigarettes, etc.

Quote Quoting xkwox
    View Post
    So I guess I can file for disability if i can not drive to a job that can not be accessed by public transportation

"impaired" you can be that from stress, smoking cigarettes, etc.
    Don't be cute.

Impaired, in this case, means that a substance put into your body makes you an unsafe driver.

As you know.

Filing for disability may be an option.

1. Sponsored Links