Default Green Card Holder, when Can I Apply for US Citizenship

Hello,
    I've been living legally in the US for 10 years, I started with a student visa from 1997-1998, after I graduated college I started working with a Optional Pratical training(1 year -1999) and then I got sponsored by a company(H1B). When I started at that company I started my green card process. After 4 years I received a EAD and I was told I was on the last stages of having my green card approved. I switched companies in 2004 and started working with my EAD card. In 2005 (february) I received my green card(expiration 2012). When can I apply for a citizenship? I've been legally in the US for more than 10 years(11 years in November) but I have been a green card holder since 2005. I heard that during elections citizenship processes tend to move faster. My main questions is when can I start applying for citizenship?

THanks.

Default Re: Greencard Holder, when Can I Apply for US Citizenship

Only time since you received your green card counts towards the time required in the US required to apply for citizenship. Your time on a student or H1B visa does not count towards citizenship. After applying, there is a processing time which recently has been about 18 months. The only thing that is speeding up is the processing time of the citizenship applications - not the time required in order to apply. The time required is set by law.

You need to become more familiar with the citizenship process. Check the USCIS/Department of State websites for more complete information.

Default Re: Greencard Holder, when Can I Apply for US Citizenship

The first day you can apply for Citizenship is 90 days prior to the 5 year anniversary of your green card approval date, sometime November 2009. So far nothing has changed due to election year.
    http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/usc...0045f3d6a1RCRD
    http://www.uscis.gov/files/article/M-476.pdf

Quote Quoting Foxtrot
    View Post
    Hello,
    I've been living legally in the US for 10 years, I started with a student visa from 1997-1998, after I graduated college I started working with a Optional Pratical training(1 year -1999) and then I got sponsored by a company(H1B). When I started at that company I started my green card process. After 4 years I received a EAD and I was told I was on the last stages of having my green card approved. I switched companies in 2004 and started working with my EAD card. In 2005 (february) I received my green card(expiration 2012). When can I apply for a citizenship? I've been legally in the US for more than 10 years(11 years in November) but I have been a green card holder since 2005. I heard that during elections citizenship processes tend to move faster. My main questions is when can I start applying for citizenship?

THanks.

1. Sponsored Links