Question License is Suspended, Can I Apply for a License in Another State?

My question involves a driver's license issued by the State of: New Jersey

I got arrested and convicted of DUI in the state of New Jersey a few months ago. My NJ driver's license was suspended the day of conviction and they took the hard copy of the license the same day.

I am now mobilizing for Iraq and need a license to complete train up. Without the license I don't go home, but things will go south VERY quickly.

I'm currently in Texas, will soon be in the Virginia area. Is there any possible legal way that I can get a license in another state while it is suspended in NJ?

The other option is to lie when they ask if my license is suspended... Hypothetically, what are the legal repercussions if that were to happen??

Thanks in advance.

Default Re: License is Suspended, Can I Apply for a License in Another State?

I apologize for the lack of search... Since I do technically LIVE in Texas for the time being I could apply here for a license, take the written and road test and be a Texas licensed driver, no?

No, sweetie, it doesn't work way. The new state will ask you to relinquish the rights to your current license. Since your current license is suspended, your new license will soon become suspended. You will also be asked to sign a statement that you are not currenlty suspended in another state.

In some state's it's a crime to lie on your driver's license application.

As the states involved are members of the Interstate Compact, TX would honor the NJ suspension.

I was unaware of the interstate compact.

This is probably a long-shot but would I be able to call the courthouse in an attempt to arrange a temporary reinstatement until I return to New Jersey and then finish out the rest of the sentence? I'm going to Iraq where it is a dry country for all US military and the parameters of my mission require it.

I would surrender the license by mail or through my family prior to returning to the US and serve the rest of the sentence from then on.

I know I can't just rewrite the law, it would take a good deal of conversation. Let me know what you think

With the interstate compact in play it has been my experience that you need to focus on the state suspending your license--in this case New Jersey--and correct the problem there or try to obtain some form of relief there. Normally, the other states honoring the suspension under reciprocity will not give you anything unless and until you straighten out the suspension problem with the original state, the reason being they want their own suspensions to be honored by other states when they impose them and that would be weakened if they started creating exceptions.

1. Sponsored Links