Default CAL-Trans/Community Service Substitute?

My question involves criminal law for the state of: CALIFORNIA

I was sentenced (for Domestic Violence, first offense) to fine/probation/d.v. classes/10 days community service. I have had one extension granted, and have completed ALL prerequisites save for the community service. I have done two of ten days and have my second post-sentencing court appearance next week. My questions are as follows:
    1) Is there a fine/fee I can pay to substitute for the community service?
    2) Will I have more days added on when I ask for the extension?
    3) Are there ANY substitutes for community Service? This is CalTrans. . .

Any help is appreciated - thank you.

Default Re: CAL-Trans/Community Service Substitute?

Why do you keep blowing off your community service? Ask your probation officer for another extension, and hope he's more sympathetic than I would probably be.

The judge sentenced you to community service because the judge wants you to do community service.

Default Re: CAL-Trans/Community Service Substitute?

I keep 'blowing off my community service' because I work five weekdays per week and the program is only eligible on Saturdays (no Sundays), which is when I take care of my Mom (recovering from spinal fusion). I have no inclination to 'blow off' the court order, I simply do not have availability. As you see, I am fulfilling ALL of my other requirements so this isn't an issue of 'blowing off' anything. I simply want to know if there are ANY substitutes possible? Thank you.

Default Can I Get a Community Service Substitute?

My question involves criminal law for the state of: CALIFORNIA

I was sentenced (for Domestic Violence, first offense) to fine/probation/d.v. classes/10 days community service. I have had one extension granted, and have completed ALL prerequisites save for the community service. I have done two of ten days and have my second post-sentencing court appearance next week. My questions are as follows:
    1) Is there a fine/fee I can pay to substitute for the community service?
    2) Will I have more days added on when I ask for the extension?
    3) Are there ANY substitutes for community Service? This is CalTrans. . .

Any help is appreciated - thank you.

Default Re: Community Service Substitute? (California)

More than likely it falls within the judge's discretion. It would have been better to have proposed a sentencing alternative at the time of the original disposition but the judge could entertain an alternative believed to be viable at this time or, of course, the judge could hold you in contempt for not complying with the order.

You'll probably need to have a good alternative and some very good explanation as to why the community service was not completed and hope that the judge is "understanding".

Default Re: Can I Get a Community Service Substitute?

You also have to consider that if the judge decides to remand you in to custody, your mom is going to need a lot of aid while you are behind bars.

You might seriously consider biting the bullet and paying for someone to come in and take your place for 8 Saturdays so you can get this done. This stuff is NOT optional. You were given a break so as to avoid going to jail. If the judge sees this as an affront, you may well be wearing inmate orange within a couple of hours of your hearing.

I suggest you come up with a plan to show the court just how you will complete your community service within a very short period of time. Or, be prepared to spend some time behind bars.

- Carl
    Retired Cal Cop Sergeant & Teacher

Seek justice,
    Love mercy,
    Walk humbly with your God

-- Courageous, by Casting Crowns ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkM-gDcmJeM

1. Sponsored Links