Default Traveling and Passport Issues When Back Support is Owed

My question involves child support in the State of: Florida.

First off, I should be clear that I'm from the Virgin Islands but I have a question. I was just told by the "getting more evil by the day" woman known as my child's mother. When I went to get my daughter over the weekend, she had asked for my daughter's passport (Which I paid for), and I told her that I would not give it to her as I felt that I should hold onto it. I'm the reason why my daughter even has the document in the first place. Anyways, upon doing so, she decided to mention that "it wouldn't matter anyway, because it's not like I can go anywhere because they suspend your passport when you have back support."

First of all, my daughter is 2, and they're telling me I have over 10K in Back Support which I still think is more than ridiculous because the case was pending for two damn years (06, 07) and didn't get looked at till March of this year and in between those times I was giving voluntary payments (FAITHFULLY MIGHT I ADD!) that me and the mother agreed upon. On Friday we have a hearing of some kind to discuss that whole ordeal to see what can be done because of it.

Anyways, I had wanted to visit my family back in the caribbbean this year, but if I do end up owing...I'm afraid I won't be able to for a long time especially owing 10K plus and making barely enough to pay for the order itself.

WHat can I do?!

Default Re: Traveling and Passport Issues When Back Support is Owed

Quote Quoting blakkidd25
    View Post
    My question involves child support in the State of: Florida.

First off, I should be clear that I'm from the Virgin Islands but I have a question. I was just told by the "getting more evil by the day" woman known as my child's mother. When I went to get my daughter over the weekend, she had asked for my daughter's passport (Which I paid for), and I told her that I would not give it to her as I felt that I should hold onto it. I'm the reason why my daughter even has the document in the first place. Anyways, upon doing so, she decided to mention that "it wouldn't matter anyway, because it's not like I can go anywhere because they suspend your passport when you have back support."

First of all, my daughter is 2, and they're telling me I have over 10K in Back Support which I still think is more than ridiculous because the case was pending for two damn years (06, 07) and didn't get looked at till March of this year and in between those times I was giving voluntary payments (FAITHFULLY MIGHT I ADD!) that me and the mother agreed upon. On Friday we have a hearing of some kind to discuss that whole ordeal to see what can be done because of it.

Anyways, I had wanted to visit my family back in the caribbbean this year, but if I do end up owing...I'm afraid I won't be able to for a long time especially owing 10K plus and making barely enough to pay for the order itself.

WHat can I do?!
    Are you making regular payments on the retro support?

If you are, try talking to the CSE caseworker. A passport isn't automatically suspended, especially in a case like yours where the order was only recently issued.

Default Re: Traveling and Passport Issues When Back Support is Owed

Quote Quoting Xena
    View Post
    Are you making regular payments on the retro support?

If you are, try talking to the CSE caseworker. A passport isn't automatically suspended, especially in a case like yours where the order was only recently issued.
    Well, that's another thing, the order itself wasn't finalized, due to a couple of reasons...the caseworker on her part based the amt of CS on a job in which I had to literally work 12hrs a day for 5 days a week to make ends meet, so she was including my overtime and it was only a temp job on top of that. I'm working a stable job now and they're going to redo the order (supposedly) to reflect the new job and establish something. We're also calling into quesiton the back support because based on the order that we got, it was based on my child's mother income at the time (She was collecting unemployment when it was filed, and started collecing it again when it was finally brought up for the order.) So alot of the financial details of this whole ordeal are supposed to be worked out this Friday at a hearing.

1. Sponsored Links