Default Searching Court Cases from Federal District Courts

I am conducting legal research for the state of: Louisiana

Is it possible to search cases from federal district courts such as for the Western District of Louisiana?

Default Re: Searching Court Cases from Federal District Courts

Yes, if you have access to Lois, LexisNexis, Westlaw or the like they all have search engines pretty specific to get you into federal district court cases that were published, usually dependent on the type of subscription that you have. I think VersusLaw was that specific too but I don't have a current subscription to that one.

You can do it through the books too such as the Federal Digests but I think that is more hit and miss. Most of my research is done on the computers now so I haven't kept up that much with book research as of late.

Chances are you aren't going to find many published district court opinions from anywhere--most of them are going to come from appellate courts.

Quote Quoting Litigator
    View Post
    Chances are you aren't going to find many published district court opinions from anywhere--most of them are going to come from appellate courts.
    The Federal Reporter series at the law libary contains some U.S. District court decisions.

There is also the F. Supp. series. I am not clear if this only includes Appeals court cases or not, or both, or if I have it reversed?? It's been awhile!!

I have also seen/read cases from District courts in "seperate" published volumes.

If one has a PACER account with the court, they can access opinions also.

Yes, the F.Supp. series is going to contain all federal district court cases from across the U.S. Since La. is in the Fifth Circuit you could go to the front of the book and look for the index under the Fifth Circuit which would have all the federal district court opinions released for publication in that circuit including those in La. Going volume by volume would be one way and there may be easier ways to do it bookwise but I just find it easier to use one of the search engines on the computer legal subscription services.

1. Sponsored Links