Default Landlord Won't Give Back Security Deposit

My question involves landlord-tenant law in the State of: New York.

Leased an apartment from Sept til June for the boy in college, there were 3 other boys in his apartment and 4 boys in the up stairs apartment. Just lucky on the day my son loaded everything and cleaned the apartment except for the other boys rooms, the landlord showed up, looked at the apartment and said everything was fine, and he would send out the security deposit, he never did, I spoke with him on the phone on the 23rd of July and he again said,"i'll get it out in the morning". well, after a week i called him today and soon as he reconized my voice, he hung up.
    I know from personal experience that landlords do not usually give back security deposits to college kids as they think no one will go to the trouble for a few hundred dollars.. I plan on filing a complaint with the New York state
    Bureau of consumer frauds and protection..http://www.oag.state.ny.us/consumer/...2009-27-05.pdf

dose anyone have any ideas how i could go about this in the cheapest way.
    I may even go to some news papers as it may help other studentsa that are getting cheated out of their security deposits. If it gets enough attention, maybe the allorney generals office might pick it up.

Default Re: Landlord Won't Give Back Security Deposit

Unless the landlord voluntarily pays, your cheapest, fastest recourse is through small claims court.

1. Sponsored Links