Default Help with unlawfully declared dependents

Here's the scoop. Married someone who was claiming her mom, dad and 2 siblings as dependents on her tax return before I met her. She was in fact supporting all of them at some point in the past because they were immigrants and she was the only one working. At some point, they left the country, but she still claimed them because she still supported them outside the country. Her previous tax professional stated that it was okay to do this.

So, we have been married for 5 years and have continued to claim them as dependents. Well, I recently found out that this is most likely not lawful. I found this out when I used a Tax preparation software for the first time. It mentioned they must reside with us.

So, am I in trouble here? Are we going to owe some major back-taxes? If so, is there any way to get off a little eaiser? I don't feel comfortable just letting this go. I need to take care of it somehow, someway. Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Default Improperly Declared Dependents

You may wish to consult with an accountant, enrolled agent, or tax lawyer, to have your situation reviewed and to determine if it is in your best interest to file amended returns paying taxes owed.

1. Sponsored Links