Results 1 to 2 of 2
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2008

    Arrow Runaway Law in Washington State

    My question involves juvenile law in the State of: Washington

    I live in Washington state; I'm currently 17 1/2 and self-sufficient. I have a highschool diploma and am two quarters away from completing my AA, with a steady job and plans for my future. I'm mentally, financially, and emotionally stable. I did not run away to live with a boyfriend or because I hate having a curfew, nor am I here to ask for encouragement. I realize this probably doesn't count for anything, but I might as well throw it out there.

    When it comes to my home life- I've never been physically abused, only emotionally. I have three younger brothers who are perfectly content, and even if I could, the last thing I'd want to do is bring in CPS to make their lives miserable.

    I've been scanning the internet and reading through these forums, but still can't find answers to the following questions.. I know there's a lot of them, but I'd highly appreciate any objective responses.

    If my parents do decide to call the police and file a runaway report, what are the odds that the police will actually do anything about it? I'd appreciate any examples based on actual experience, not just what the law says will hypothetically happen.

    What could the police legally do if my parents try everything within their means to get me back? What are the legal consequences for myself- will I have some kind of record?

    Does crossing county or state lines change the severity of any of this?

    If the people I stay with report to the police department that I'm living with them- can they still be civilly sued? How would that affect the situation?

    Would filing for emancipation help my case at all? From what I've read, my chances of being granted emancipation before I turn 18 are probably close to zero, even though I could claim returning would harm me both financially and psychologically.

    And, lastly- what consequences will there be if my parents do nothing about the situation? They haven't technically given me permission to leave, but is their consent implied?


  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Dauphin County, PA

    Default Re: Runaway Law in WA State

    Unless you ask your parents if you can move out and they verbally say YES, you cannot leave. You want us to answers based on hypothetical questions.

    Plain and simple, if you run away your parents can get the police involved and can stop at no end to do this. The people you plan to stay with will not be vivilly "sued" they will be charged with Harboring a Runaway. You only have a few months left, it's better for everyone involved for you to just stick it out. Keep yourself occupied and busy the less time you have at home, the quicker the time will pass that you can legally move out.

    1. Sponsored Links

Similar Threads

  1. Drunk and Impaired Driving: First DUI in Washington State
    By Tuna in forum Drunk and Impaired Driving Charges
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-28-2011, 08:54 AM
  2. Crimes Against Family: Harboring a Runaway in Washington State
    By zigmystr in forum Criminal Charges
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-20-2009, 11:52 AM
  3. Drunk and Impaired Driving: Second DUI in Washington State
    By Lucybear in forum Drunk and Impaired Driving Charges
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-12-2009, 08:32 AM
  4. Washington State License Suspension for Oregon State Infraction
    By Vindicator in forum Driver's Licenses
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-24-2008, 11:10 AM
  5. Protective Services: CPS In Washington State
    By hsp2099 in forum Abuse and Neglect
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-10-2008, 02:38 AM
Sponsored Links

Legal Help, Information and Resources

Forum Sponsor
Legal Forms - Buy easy-to-use legal forms.