Question Dad Wants on Birth Certificate and Son's Name Changed

My question involves name change laws in the State of: Tennessee

My boyfriend is a single dad of 3 beautiful girls who he gained primary residence of when there mom was found guilty of failure to protect them from her boyfriend who was physically abusing them. His ex girlfriend (not the girls mom) has since come around and said that her 2 1/2 year old son is my boyfriends child. We bought an over the counter DNA test and the results were that with out a doubt my boyfriend has a son. He is willing to pay support, would like visitation, and wants to be named as his father on the birth certificate, and would like to have his son have his last name, after all this is his only son. She is OK with him paying support, but will only allow him to see his son 1 day a week, and absolutely does not want him on the birth certificate and wants him to carry on his last name even less. What rights does my boyfriend have in this situation. Not sure of how the law works in Tennessee.

Officially across the country from where I've been all my life

Default Re: Dad Wants on Birth Certificate and Sons Name Changed

Your boyfriend needs to take the matter to family court.

That is what we plan to do. I was just wondering if he will have any rights to have the name changed or be put on the BC. Does she as the mom have the right to deny him of these things.

Officially across the country from where I've been all my life

YOU can't do anything in this situation. However, until paternity is legally established, she can do whatever she wants with her child. Anything after he files is up to a judge.

1. Sponsored Links