Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Shoplifting from retail store

hi,
    thx for reading...

to cut the long story short...
    was cought shoplifting some merchandise worth 30$ from a retail store.gave the correct name and address, but wrong dob.payed the civil demand.cops involved.court date in jan1week.
    no money, so not appointing a lawyer. from another country and here on a visa.
    what might happen if i just dont go to the court. planning to leave the city and move to a different state.will they be able to track me down. and will they for a merchandise of 30$????
    first offence and the last too...clean record before. never ran into police , this is the first time.
    please suggest me what to do.and if i plan to go to the court , will they convict me ?or just any community service. will i be allowed to move out of the country, state when on probation.
    never been photographd or finger printed.
    please let me know what to expect if i go to the court and if i dont go to the court.
    thanks
    meher

Most likely they will not track you down for this, however if you miss court there will be a more serious charge brought on you. Shoplifting of $30 is only a class C misdemeanor (same class as a speeding ticket). If you miss court more than likely they will put a warant out for your arrest. They will not waste their tiem tracking you down, however if you were to be pulled over for a simple traffic violation or a police officer runs your ID through the system for any reason this warant will pop up and you will be arrested at that time. You will save yourself a whole lot of trouble if you just go to court and I would suggest that one of the first things you tell them in court is you gave the wrong DOB! This sounds stupid, but coming forward with the truth will probably keep you out of trouble later. The judge would much rather you tell him youl lied and admit to it rather than have to find out for himself. I am not a legal expert, however I do work Loss Prevention and I am working on my criminal justice degree so i do have experience and knowledge in the matter. Good Luck

Thanks LP for the quick response.
    but my concern is me and my husband are moving to a different state next month because he is joining a different firm there.If Iam on probation then do I have to stick around the place where i live in?or how is it? I can travel in and out of state anytime???do i require the probation officers approval everytime i move out of country or state? do i have to come time to time and sign some papers every month?

what might be the maximum punishment?

will they track me down when i move to other state? i mean do the police of other state have a common database?

what might be the maximum punishment for this case?Iam worried. should I go to the court and simply stay away from it as they do not have correct information about me.( my dob) and (my full name)Iam not appointing a lawyer as i cant afford it.

so thinking all this i thought that just avoid the court and stay out of trouble from the police rest of my life.

and will the LP come to the court?I have paid all the civil demand and got the receipt too.

please suggest me on this issue.

Default help please

Please can anybody help me with my previous post?I'm sure am in trouble!!!
    any help would be appreciated.

If this is a class C misdemeanor in your state which I am sure it probably will be, you cannot face probabtion. Class C misdemeanor's are only punishable by a fine. However, if you choose to not go to court, thier will be a more serious charge placed on your record and most likely a warant for your arrest. And yes the databases that the police use to check your information when they pull you over for a trafic violation or whatever the case may be, are nation wide. Therefore, if your in Main right now and go completely across the nation to California or Texas, any warants that you have will be visable by any police officer who performs a check on your name. So your best bet is to go to court pay the fine while you're there and put it behind you! But hey if you feel like being handcuffed sitting inthe back of a police cruser becuase your tail light is out then take your chances...

"as they do not have correct information about me.( my dob) and (my full name)"
    Not a wise move giving false info, if you don't go to court and take care of this and you ever get in a position where they figure out you lied....additional charges could be filed. Just get the monkey off your back and be done with it, it sucks looking over your shoulder all the time.

Default please let me know...

I live in the state of maine...so do u know the implications of a first time offence of shoplifting in the state of maine?
    Please let me know...

If you got a ticket or papers from the cops, look at the charge and do a google search for the laws in Maine. It'll tell you what to expect to a degree, if you still have doubts call a lawyer, it's free on the phone.

Go to court. It will be VERY stupid if you don't. That is worse than the shoplifting charge. They may just drop cahrges on you since it was your first time. But if you miss court, you will go to jail when they catch you, and sooner or later, they will catch you.

my case is on 20th of dec.some queries i had
    1) will the LP also come to the court on my hearing date?I have already paid the civil demand.
    2) if he comes will he come with the casette recording of my theft?
    3) I had stolen few more articles from the store before, but i had not been cought.this is the first timei got caught.will he show the other offences recorded before.
    4) what might be the implications?will they fingerprint me?and photograph me?

well, i have found tht its not worth stealing and have completely reformed my self.Please let me know weather I should plead guilty?I do not have a lawyer and do not plan to have one as i cannot afford it.
    Please let me know.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast