Default 17 Year Old Left Custodial Parent Home

My question involves emancipation laws for the State of: louisiana

My 17 year old son left because he did not like my answer to his over spending and not repaying debts. I am the custodial parent. Should or can I emancipate him so I will not be libile for his debts or anything else he does. How do I cover myself legally?

Default Re: 17 Year Old Left Custodial Parent Home

Emancipation is dependent on him being able to totally support himself financially, and are most often based on a DIRE need to be able to enter into contracts like leases in order to survive. Less than 1% of applications for emancipation are granted.

Is is safe to assume that the debt he's racking up is coming via a credit card linked to your credit? If so, call the credit card company and shut that sucker down ASAP. And, if so, you'll be liable for whatever has racked up thanks to two things:

One, at 17 he can't legally enter into contracts (which is why credit card companies don't issue cards to minors)....and two, account holders are liable for charges made by authorized users.

So first STOP him from spending, then you can try to work on getting him to pay whatever he agreed to pay - but understand that in court, he really has an absolute defense in that he's a minor.

1. Sponsored Links