Default Washington State Speeding Ticket

My question involves a speeding ticket from the State of: Washington State
    May long weekend I recieved a speeding ticket, 85+ in a 70 mph zone. Upon inspection of the ticket I noticed that the vehicle information was incorrect. The ticket has me in a Washington State plate. I was visiting from British Columbia and was driving a vehicle with a BC plate, insurance and ownership documentation.

Is an incorrect licence plate a valid reason to contest a traffic infraction?
    Does one contest the ticket as a whole or just the offences?
    Can I contest this by mail from Canada?
    Is contesting this matter in person recommended?
    When contesting in person can I sill be charged for a speeding violation if asked under oath how fast I was travelling, independant of the wrong information?

My court date is set for late August and any advice would be greatly appreciated. I am not familiar with the legal system in Washington State, or BC for that matter, as this is my first traffic infraction. Thank you for your time. t.

Default Re: Washington State Speeding Ticket

If I were you, I'd submit a Discovery Request to find out the evidence against you. Call the Clerk of the Court and find out the address of the prosecutor's office. Discovery Requests are governed by IRLJ 3.1 (b). Be sure to follow those instructions. If you need a form, PM me with your email address and I'll send you one.

One of the items you will receive will be another copy of your citation. Check for a "filing" date stamped somewhere on the citation. It MUST be filed with the court within five days (not including weekends or holidays) of the infraction. If it's not, you can move for dismissal pursuant to IRLJ 2.2 (d). If it was filed on time, come back and post what's in the officer's sworn statement. We'll see if there's anything there that can help you.

WA and BC have a reciprocity agreement, so if you ignore this citation, your BC license will probably be suspended.

Good luck,
    Barry

p.s. The error with the license plates will probably not matter.

I am sorry but I am new and I can't figure out how to PM you, but is there anyway you can send me the forms so I can get my ticket and see when it was filled? Thanks.

To PM someone, click on their name in any post. That will open a box of options, one of which says "Send a private message to ....".

To find out when your ticket was filed, call the Clerk and ask.

Barry

1. Sponsored Links