Default False Ticket for Not Producing Valid Registration

My question involves a traffic ticket from the state of: New Jersey. I was stopped for speeding in New Jersey. The officer asked for my license, registration and insurance; all of which I gave him. He came back to my vehicle and said he was not going to issue me a ticket for speeding (65 in a 55 zone), but was citing me for an expired registration. I asked if he was sure it was expired as I just bought the car 4 weeks ago and just received the registration that he was looking at this weekend. He said it was expired and that he was citing me for driving with an invalid registration. As he got into his car and pulled away, I was looking at the registration which is indeed valid until June 2009. I then looked at the ticket he'd given me and it said that I was cited for failure to produce vehicle registration; which is completely untrue! This morning I called the traffice court on the ticket and explained to them that this was a mistake. The woman said that I would need to go to traffic court. I asked how I was supposed to fight a violation that was wrongly listed in the first place. She said she doubted that the officer had made any mistake. She then went on to say that if he had let me off on another violation, then he had up to 30 days to cite me, especially if I appealed in court and won. This sounds ridiculous! Is our law actually this slanted? The ticket is for $185.00 which is no small amount of change to me. What should I do?

Default Re: Ticket for Not Producing Valid Registration - False

In NJ each point against your license increases your insurance by about 150 per year. This is a no point violation so no insurance increase. Next time I would insist on the speedibg ticket and then you will have nothing to complain about.

Default Re: Ticket for Not Producing Valid Registration - False

Thanks for the helpful response Forgot to mention that I live in PA and would not get points on my license from Jersey anyway.

Default Re: False Ticket for Not Producing Valid Registration

Pardon me, sorry but I lent my crystal ball to SJ and he hasn't returned it yet.

1. Sponsored Links