Default Parking Tickets After Vehicle Sale

My question involves a consumer law issue in the State of: Maryland

My neighbor has been receiving notices of failure to pay 3 parking tickets issued against her vehicle from the City of Baltimore, Maryland. She was NOT the owner of record when the parking tickets were issued between 11/2005 & 1/2006. She lives in Texas and purchased the ticketed vehicle from Fed Govt Emp Credit Union (FGECU) in TX on 3/9/20. The FGECU acquired the vehicle by repossession from the owner who incurred the tickets in Baltimore and never paid for them or sought a court hearing.

My question is: If the previous owner of the vehicle, the owner who incurred the parking tickets, did not pay the fines or otherwise discharge the parking citations, is the vehicle subsequently "encumbered" by a legal claim against it by the City of Baltimore for payment or discharge of the unpaid parking tickets? If such an "encumberment" does exist, does that encumberment transfer to whoever subsequently takes ownership of the vehicle?

As an analogy, if a piece of real estate (say a house) has a lien against it for unpaid taxes by the owner, and the owner subsequently sells the real estate to a buyer who is unaware or otherwise not diligent in examining the real estate title for any encumberments such as tax liens, then the new owner takes "ownership" of paying the delinquent taxes on behalf of the previous owner. The taxing authority may have a legal claim against the new owner for back taxes, even though the new owner did not incur the back taxes...but rather the new owner simply took possession of the back-tax liability by purchasing the encumbered real estate.

Thanks,

Default Re: Parking Tickets After Vehicle Sale

Has she tried contacting the City of Baltimore, documenting her purchase date, and thus proving that she was not the owner at the time the tickets were issued?

Default Re: Parking Tickets After Vehicle Sale

Yes, she has obtained a certified vehicle title history that shows she was not the owner at the time the parking violations occurred. She has sent this information to City of Baltimore Attorneys. Hopefully, they will stop harrassing her.

She previously sent the City of Baltimore her Title Application showing the date she applied to change the car's title from previous owner to her ownership. That date was 3 months after the last of the 3 parking tickets was issued. City of Baltimore said that was not reliable evidence that she did not own the car. Many times a person will buy a vehicle and then delay some period of time before they actually transfer the title into their name. City of Baltimore assumed this was the case with my neighbor.

What gets me is this woman is being presumed guilty by the City of Balitomore & is having to prove herself innocent. I thought a fundamental principle of law is that the accuser must PROVE the accused to be guilty...?!

1. Sponsored Links