Default Civil demand letter

Its been almost a month since I was stopped by the LP of a department store. No contact was made to any enforcement and they let me off with a warning , with no fine as well. They told me to just expect a civil demand letter in the mail but I still have not received anything. Should I contact someone or is there a possibilty that I just won't receive anything and that was just that? Thanks.

Default Stopped for Shoplifting

Conventional wisdom is that a civil demand can take three months to arrive. Sometimes longer, but it isn't until that three month period has passed that you should be concerned about a possible problem.

Thanks. So after the three months, if I still haven't received anything, should I contact the LP office and inquire about the situation? I was just wondering because they informed me that I would recieve in in a week to two. Is it possible that I just won't get one though? Thanks again.

It is possible that one won't come. You can decide for yourself if you want to call the store.

I work LP at a department store and we also advise that if you do not recieve the civil demand within two - three weeks that you should contact them. Our policy though is that even if someone does not recieve the civil demand, if they do not respond to it then we will prosecute them for refusing to pay the civil demand. In other words they will asume that you recieved it and assume that you're refusing to pay for it and then they have the option of taking it to court(at that time the shoplifting charge would probably also be brought up so you would have that on your criminal record as well) It is possible that they could've reviewed your case and decided not to give you a civil demand, yet that doesn't happen too often. I would advise that you call them and tell them that you did not recieve the civil demand and at taht time they will either resend it or they will tell you that you're not recieving one. The way i see it your better of just paying the civil demand rather than having it go to court then you ahve to pay court fees, whatever fee the judge decides to give you, plus the civil demand still. However, I am no legal expert i just have a some experience int his subject.

Don't worry. When the Civil Demand arrives, if it does, then worry about it. If you gave proper contact info then it is not your responsibility. LP usually has bigger badder people to go after.

1. Sponsored Links