Default Likelihood of Creditors Coming After a Non-Filing Spouse for Marital Debts

I live in Arizona, which is a community property state. I was married in 2005, and since then my wife has incurred credit card debt, she also had existing credit card debt before we got married. She wants to file chapter 7, yet I have read that the creditors will try to coerce the non-filing spouse to pay for the debts incurred after marriage. What is the likelihood of this, has anyone ever experienced this when filing or attempting to file?

Default Re: Likelihood of Creditors Coming After a Non-Filing Spouse for Marital Debts

What is the likelihood of this, has anyone ever experienced this when filing or attempting to file?
    You're pretty much asking us to gaze into a crystal ball and tell you something we can't possibly predict.

If you're concerned about creditors coming after you when your wife files, it would be in your best interests to retain separate counsel to protect yourself.

Default Re: Likelihood of Creditors Coming After a Non-Filing Spouse for Marital Debts

Quote Quoting LawResearcherMissy
    View Post
    You're pretty much asking us to gaze into a crystal ball and tell you something we can't possibly predict.

If you're concerned about creditors coming after you when your wife files, it would be in your best interests to retain separate counsel to protect yourself.

Again, has anyone experienced this? I did not ask for someone to guess, so your answer is worthless to me. I asked if anyone has ever come across this when filing or attempting to file after seeking counsel. And for the 5th time, I know I need to seek counsel, and I have an appointment. I thought this forum was honest reliable answers, not ridicule. If you can't answer the question with a good response, why bother?

You DID get an honest reliable answer. We can't help it if you don't like it.

See, only about 20 people actually provide answers here. All the rest of the members? They ask and leave. The odds of one of the 20 of us being in your situation and state? Not good.

If you've already got an attorney, ask him. He'll be able to give more specific answers based on your details.

[QUOTE=LawResearcherMissy;227150]You DID get an honest reliable answer. We can't help it if you don't like it.

Well with that being said, I will ask questions in a more reputable forum, where people actually read the question before giving meaningless answers, like "go ask/get a lawyer".

BTW, "like gazing into a crystal ball" = NOT reliable, honest yes, mocking yes, meaningful no, helpful not the least bit

1. Sponsored Links