Default I Know Where My Property Markers Are, Why Should I Need to Pay for a Survey?

My question involves real estate located in the State of: Minnesota

I built my home over 15 years ago and also had a survey done at that time.
    My property monuments are still in place.
    At that time, I put up a 2 wire smooth fence , just off the property line (So I can maintain it from my own property)
    I have always told them that the property line is not the fence ,but a few inches on the back side of my fence.
    My nieghbor, who has lived there quite a few years, does not believe where I say the line is ,but he has nothing the prove it otherwise.

I believe the burden of proof is on him and HE would need to hire a surveyer to prove me wrong?
    Am I right?

Default Re: I Know Where My Property Markers Are, Why Should I Need to Pay for a Survey?

There is no requirement to put a fence on the line. What's the problem?

Default Re: I Know Where My Property Markers Are, Why Should I Need to Pay for a Survey?

The problem is, He has a 1 foot tall timber wall, with large rocks behind that wall ,on a side hill ,and when it rains hard, the ground get soft and the rocks and soil slide down the hill and pushes the wall on to my property . It has been fixed by him many times. ( real bad repairs) But this time he's being difficult and wants me to prove where the line is.
    He never disputed the line in the past.

If you property corners are in place all you have to do is to pull a string from one to the other. It is a straight line.

I understand that.
    The problem is I have a 750 foot long property line with hills along the line ,so it's kinda hard to just pull a string.

If he thinks the line is wrong, Shouldn't he be the one proving ME wrong by getting it surveyed?

You are the one claiming he has damaged your property so you have the burden of proof. Have a surveyor come out and put in permanent intermediate markers.

1. Sponsored Links