Default Repair Sewer Across Neighbor's Land

My question involves real estate located in the State of: North Carolina.
    The sewer line on my house goes across the corner of my neighbors vacant lot. The sewer is broken and needs repair and part of the line across my neighbor's land must be dug up. I anticipate a problem with my neighbor, because she has posted no trespassing signs and does not allow anyone access to the land. What are my legal rights and obligations as to repair of my sewer line across her land?

Default Re: Repair Sewer Across Neighbor's Land

The question is how did the sewer get on her land to start with and would it be better to go ahead and reroute it in order to avoid future problems. If it can't be rerouted you need to go have a talk with your neighbor and explain the problem. You will be responsible for repairing any damage but you do have a right to repair the line. Explain that you are trying to prevent any spillage of sewer onto her land and what a mess that would be and that you won't be liable for any cleanup. That usually works.

Quote Quoting lwpat
    View Post
    The question is how did the sewer get on her land to start with and would it be better to go ahead and reroute it in order to avoid future problems. If it can't be rerouted you need to go have a talk with your neighbor and explain the problem. You will be responsible for repairing any damage but you do have a right to repair the line. Explain that you are trying to prevent any spillage of sewer onto her land and what a mess that would be and that you won't be liable for any cleanup. That usually works.
    The house was constructed in 1910 and it is original clay sewer pipe. I purchased it 2002 and did complete renovation. I had no idea the sewer line went across the corner of her lot. The house is a rental and I have a tenant in the house and the line must be repaired ASAP. Questions: 1. Must I ask her permission to dig into her lot (only 3-5 feet)? 2. If I ask permission and she refuses permission, do I have the right to repair the line anyway, even if plumber must dig into her lot? 3. Should I or need I get city approval? Thanks, Argos

What did she say when you asked for permission? Normally the work must be done by a plumber that is licensed so he will know if he needs to contact anyone. Did the plumber say it could be rerouted?

1. Sponsored Links