Unhappy Recovering Personal Belongings

My question involves a roommate in the State of: Indiana

I moved in with my friend a few months ago to help us both save some money. After a few horrible months of living with her my boyfriend has asked me to move in with him. I told her about this at the end of June and told her I would give her til the end of July and then move my things out. I told her I would make sure my portion of the bills would be up to date and I even offered to help her buy some used furniture since she had none. She acted like a child and made my life there miserable so after a horrible text she sent me I decided to move all of my items out last weekend instead which she agreed to. I got most of my items out on last Saturday but had to leave a few things behind that we could not fit in a truck. These items belong to my daughter and my boyfriend none of my personal items. Now she refuses to give me anything back until all of the bills are paid in full. I think she is adding things to the bill and she refuses to show me the paper bills. I did not sign the lease and I did not sign an agreement to pay half of the bills everything was verbal. Can she legally withhold the items of my daughter and my boyfriend until I give her everything she wants?

Help my daughter misses her toys!!!!

Default Re: Recovering Personal Belongings

Your rent is paid through the end of the month? If so and this is an apartment or other rental, see if you can get the landlord to give you access to collect your belongings. If not, or if the landlord isn't willing, see if you can get the local police to help you gain access to recover your belongings. (Don't call 911 - go to the station in person or use a non-emergency number.)

Default Re: Recovering Personal Belongings

Technically we were not paying rent. The duplex is in her name, she is going through a divorce and her "husband" has to pay the rent until the divorce is finalized. We agreed to pay half of the utilities together. I still owe her money for them but haven't gotten all of the bills in order to pay them. The local police have told me this is a civil case and there is nothing they can do for me unless it becomes a criminal case. I guess I'm out of luck without taking her to court.

1. Sponsored Links