Default Unpaid Wages

Any help would be much appreciated!

About a month ago, my fiance was employed by a general contractor along with 2 other men. He called about the job after seeing a ad in a local paper. He was told he would make $13 a hour and he worked a total of 52 hours. After him and the other two employees finished the current house they were working on their employer showed up and told him that he was sorry but there were no other houses available to work on (although he was promised that this would be a long term job), apparently this is something general contractors do when they need to get their houses finished. When Jon (fiance) asked about their checks he was told by the employer the checks were in the mail. It's been like I said a month and we still have not seen any check. Jon has called the employer numerous times with no answer and no response to his messages. He has the phone numbers of the other two employees and he called them both and both told him neither had gotten paid either.

My question is what do we do now? Do we need a lawyer or can we take this guy to court without one? Also if there was no written employment contract, how do we go about proving that he did in fact do work for this man? My fiance said something about taking out a lien on the house he worked on. How do we start this process? Thank you so much for your help.

Default Unethical Contractor

You may wish to start with the North Carolina Wage & Hour Bureau. You can also consider filing a complaint with the North Carolina Licensing Board for General Contractors, assuming this person is licensed as a general contractor.

1. Sponsored Links