Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default Do I Have to Pay if I Didn't Know About the Kid Till Birth and I Never Wanted It?

My question involves paternity law for the State of: Massachusetts

I had a brief encounter with a woman which resulted in her pregnancy. She avoided me and my calls and midway through her pregnancy she tells me she is pregnant and is living with another man. I assume it's his kid but at the time of the kid's birth, she contacts me and tells me it's mine and that she is no longer with this guy. She wanted me to take a paternity test and I avoided it. She told me she wanted the documents signed but that she would drop it and not pursue legal action against me becuase she does not want me involved if I don't want to be involed. That was four years ago and the other day I was served with a "complaint of paternity" document. If I take the patenity test, and it shows the kid is mine, do I have to pay child support?

Default Re: Do I Have to Pay if I Didn't Know About the Kid Till Birth and I Never Wanted It?

Q: If I take the patenity test, and it shows the kid is mine, do I have to pay child support?

A: Yes, you are legally required to support your children.

Default Re: Do I Have to Pay if I Didn't Know About the Kid Till Birth and I Never Wanted It?

If I get a really good family law attorney, can I get out of some of it with proof that she told me she did not want me involved if I didn't want to be? Will that at least lessen the amount and will I have to pay back support?

Agreed.

Did you not understand the whole "sex makes baby" part of health class?

When you decided to have sex with her, you legally promised to financially care for any children that resulted from that union.

I would be nice to her. You are going to be seeing a lot of her over the next couple of decades.

Quote Quoting NotMyChoice
    View Post
    If I get a really good family law attorney, can I get out of some of it with proof that she told me she did not want me involved if I didn't want to be? Will that at least lessen the amount and will I have to pay back support?
    Not a dime.

Both parents are legally required to pay their share of a child's financial needs.

There is no "getting out of it".

And, before you ask, there is NO way to sign away your rights to the child unless another man is deemed capable and worthy to adopt him/her.

Quote Quoting cyjeff
    View Post

And the "getting into it" assured that.

View Post
    Nope.

You'd do well to take cyjeff's advice and be nice to her. Be VERY nice to her, because she can make your life a living hell until that child turns 18.

Quote Quoting cyjeff
    View Post
    Not a dime.

Both parents are legally required to pay their share of a child's financial needs.

And, before you ask, there is NO way to sign away your rights to the child unless another man is deemed capable and worthy to adopt him/her.
    Is there a way to go to trial to at least share my side of things whereby I never chose this child to be brought into the world with my DNA. I hear what you are saying but I am having a hard time understanding that I have no rights in this situation.

View Post
    Is there a way to go to trial to at least share my side of things whereby I never chose this child to be brought into the world with my DNA. I hear what you are saying but I am having a hard time understanding that I have no rights in this situation.
    You do have rights.

You had the right NOT to have sex. You had the right to wear a condom. You had the right to only have sex with a woman you wanted to have a long term relationship with.

You decided to go ahead and have sex anyway.

Now... you have made a miracle. A new life. You can look at that as a curse or a blessing.

Oh, and you will have your day in court. None of what you are saying will fly for a minute.

View Post
    Is there a way to go to trial to at least share my side of things whereby I never chose this child to be brought into the world with my DNA.
    Okay, Aaron will probably chastise me but here's a cold dose of reality:

When you stuck it in her, you made the choice.

Period.

End of story.

Even if.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast