Default Rent for a Month, Leave with a Week Notice, No Contract?

My question involves landlord-tenant law in the State of: CA

I rented this place for $550 with all uti included before giving the landlord the deposit . It was half of the living room and to be just me and the landlord (two of us). When I moved in the place, I found a girl also renting the half of the living room....Due to there being no walls, I have limitations(IE, turn off lights by 10pm, etc). (When in fact, I shouldn't). In addition to the extra person being there (sharing the living room) the landlord asked for 1/3 of the utlit. bills and all living expenses to be split to three (which were suppose to be included in the rent).

Since there is no contract between us, I couldn't really do anything.
    So I looked for a new place and I found one. If I were to move out with a week notice, does the landlord have the right to hold/withdraw the deposit fee? What should I do??

- I only rented for a month.
    - No contract, only verbal agreement (which she broke)

If that is the case, will it be okay if I just move out? And demand for the deposit fee?

Please advise,
    Thanks!

panther10758 Guest

Default Re: Rent for a Month, Leave with a Week Notice, No Contract?

You need to give one full rental period as notice or you can be charged with a months rent. Your deposit is not for unpaid rent (if any) but for damages that you may have done during your stay. Take a look at this site and educate yourself to CA rental regulations

I dont see why I should give a month's notice when there is no contract at all.

panther10758 Guest

From the site I gave you link to. Which you clearly ignored

You must give the landlord the same amount of notice as there are days between rent payments.176 This means that if you pay rent monthly, you must give the landlord written notice at least 30 days before you move. If you pay rent every week, you must give the landlord written notice at least seven days before you move.177 This is true even if the landlord has given you a 60-day notice to end the rental agreement and you want to leave sooner (see Landlord's notice to end a periodic tenancy.)177a

There was no written agreement as to the leasing term, I don't see why i should give a 30 days notice.

For all it could be, I am leasing on a day to day term only that I paid full in advance.

panther10758 Guest

Then ignore what you have been told. However dont be surprised when your sued for a month's rent plus legal fees. Oh and expect to lose in the suit

1. Sponsored Links