Default Can I Join the Military with a Domestic Battery on My Record?

My question involves criminal law for the state of: Florida. I was wanting to know if i could still join the military with a domestic battery charge on my record? My wife did not press the charge, but the state did?

Default Re: Can I Join the Military with a Domestic Battery on My Record?

It's not the charge that matters so much as it is any conviction. Federal law preventing those convicted of higher degrees of domestic violence from being in possession of a firearm may be problematic for you. Get a copy of the exact charge and statute number and check with your recruiter.

i was convicted of battery touch or strike statue code 784.03(1a1) which states that its not a felony battery case..

Even a misdemeanor conviction for domestic violence is enough to disqualify you under federal law - specifically the Lautenberg Amendment - which makes it unlawful for anyone (even police officers and members of the military) who has been convicted of a misdemeanor of domestic violence to possess firearms- see 922(g)(9) here:

http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/18/922(g)(9).html

1. Sponsored Links