Exclamation 22349(A) Written As 99+ Driving in 65mph Freeway Zone

My question involves a speeding ticket from the State of: California

Ticket cited 06/17/08 @ 11:10 AM. The officer checked "No" in the Correctable Violation Box. First of all, does this completely eliminate my chances for traffic school? I was cited for 22349(a)VC MAX SPEED (65). In Speed Approx. he wrote 99+, what does that mean? When I was pulled over he said he had clocked me going 104, but when he returned to the car he said that because of the speed he said I was going I could have my license suspended and he had decided to "cut me a break" and write me as going 99+. Does this mean he wrote me for going 99, or faster than that? I am not really sure.

Is there any way possible to avoid having this ticket on my driving record? How many points would this ticket be?

Prior to receiving this ticket in June, I had also been cited Memorial Day weekend while driving in Southern California on the freeway for coming out of a car pool lane (double-yellow line) before a line break... I was unaware at the time that I was required to stay in the carpool lane. I suppose it sounds ignorant to say I didn't know a double-yellow on the road meant that I couldn't pass, but I am from Northern California and very unfamiliar to the Southern California freeways as they are quite different.

Am I going to get my license suspended? This is the biggest thing that I am worried about! What am I going to have to do when I go to court in order to avoid this? Other than the citation I received for my lane violation in Los Angeles, this speeding ticket is the only other citation I have on my driving record.

I have been reading other various threads and have found that it could be possible for me to receive traffic school depending on the leniency of the Judge.

I am really just seeking some advice as to what steps should be taken so tat I can try to pacify my current situation as much as possible. Aside from the bit that I have read on this forum, I am mostly inexperienced when it comes to details of the Law and what not.

Default Re: 22349(A) Written As 99+ Driving in 65mph Freeway Zone

It's reasonable to infer that he wrote "99" to give you a break and "+" so that he and the prosecutor would both know that you've already received a break. I'll let some of the traffic gurus address the other issues (assuming they're willing).

I'm from Northern california and I currently live in Southern California so I understand the carpool line situation. However, I doubt you can argue that you didn't know because double solid lines are given facts from basic driver's ed that should've been on your written test. And seeing that it is in SoCal while you're in NorCal, you might just want to take traffic school for that since it is a guaranteed that you can take it. For the speeding one, you might want to plead not guilty and contest it. You shouldn't be getting your license suspended but I'm not quite sure about that + sign but usually unless its over 100 mph, you will not have it suspended. I would plead not guilty anyways because I wouldn't want a point on my record. But then again, gather sufficient information before deciding this. I got lucky two times and the cop didn't shop up to both. One for when he ticketed me going at 100 on 65 near Fairfield on my was down to SF from Davis so it's somewhat similar to your situation.

Make sure you check some sites out and check your options. I'm definitely nowhere near qualified in giving advice but I just wanted to let you know from personal experience.

He wrote 99+ so he wouldn't have to write you for exceeding 100, which is a different statute. You won't have your license suspended based on this charge alone. However, you should start the discovery process to learn as much about your case as you can.

1. Sponsored Links