Default Possible Failed Tubal Ligation

I signed a waiver but cannot remember what it said. I had a tubal ligation done 2 years ago. I am a week late or more now. I was going to take a home test, but was told it might not come out right it it is a tube pregnancy. Should I wait a little longer or go to the doctor asap?

Default Re: Tubal Ligation Failed

I am in the same situation. I am scared to death to find out for sure. I have 3 kids that are 6, 4 and 2. There is no way I could handle another. I was told it was 99% effective too. I do not want to be that 1% but that is how my luck runs. Can a tubal ligation harm the baby in any way come from the tubes down to my uterus? I will love and have this child no matter what. I am just mad at the doctors. I cannot afford another child right now, but will do the best I can if I am pregnant.

Default Re: Possible Failed Tubal Ligation

Take a test, do not wait.

If it is positive, hie thee QUICKLY to the doctor to confirm that it is a uterine pregnancy and not a tubal pregnancy.

If it is a uterine pregnancy, a failed tubal ligation is not going to harm the fetus.

If it is a tubal pregnancy, you're going to require surgery. Sooner, rather than later. Ectopic pregnancies are not viable, and can kill you if not removed.

Dear lawresearcher,
    I had my tubes tied 3 yrs ago, and in July of 07 I got pregnant, but it was tubal. Just so you have the facts a tubal doesn't require surgery if you catch it early enough. My O.B. gave me a dose of chemical therapy to terminate. Now, my question is, is there anything that can be done legally? Even making that doc redo the procedure FREE would be gratifying. Just thought I would ask.

Tubal ligation does not lessen the chance of an ectopic (tubal) pregnancy.....in fact it increases the incidence..... the price to pay for decreasing the chance of uterine pregnancy while still having sex and keeping your pipes and hormones. "Re-doing" a tubal ligation because of a tubal pregnancy is pointless and not indicated. Also a tubal pregnancy does not indicate that the tubal ligation was in any way incorrectly performed.

Default Re: Tubal Ligation Failed

Quote Quoting Jstormie1127
    View Post
    I am in the same situation. I am scared to death to find out for sure. I have 3 kids that are 6, 4 and 2. There is no way I could handle another. I was told it was 99% effective too. I do not want to be that 1% but that is how my luck runs. Can a tubal ligation harm the baby in any way come from the tubes down to my uterus? I will love and have this child no matter what. I am just mad at the doctors. I cannot afford another child right now, but will do the best I can if I am pregnant.
    If ectopic (tubal), you need to find out ASAP to avoid surgery. Methotrexate is a medication that can terminate a tubal pregnancy but only very early on. After that ectopic pregnancies are prone to rupture, hemorrhage, and can become surgical emergencies. Ectopic pregnancy ignored can cause severe abdominal hemorrhage which can be fatal.

As long as you understood that the procedure was not 100% effective in preventing a uterine pregnancy when you consented to it, the claim of "wrongful birth" does not exist. Only in situations where the mother was not informed there would still be a risk she could get pregnant AND she proves she would never have had the tubal ligation had she known it was not 1005 effective, or would have used additional protection cana a wrongful birth malpractice claim survive.

1. Sponsored Links