Default Becoming a Barrister

I bet you guys have herd from people like me before and if you haven't I hope I'm in the right place!

I'm really after some advice from you guys who are already in this area of employment as I'm personally thinking of doing this myself. I have a degree in computer forensics and I was hoping to do a CGL and then continue to train to be a barrister afterwards. I really want this career and am fully prepared for the financial costs of this training but I'm getting all sorts of other things thrown at me that is starting to put me off. I was just hoping you guys could maybe give your opinions of the methods you went through to train and whether you feel that you are enjoying it or looking back you would have tried something else?

I keep getting told that because my degree isn't in law and in forensics with the conversion that I will get looked down upon and not necessarily stand much of a chance of the training I need.

Do you guys feel that it is a brilliant career to follow (Im sure you do as you probably wouldn't be doing it) or would you ward me away from it?

any opinions/advice would be much appreciated

thank you

Default Re: New Member Hoping for Advice

Your reference to barrister suggests that you are in a country other than the US. This is primarily a US board so I'm not sure how much help you will receive.

ah right, im from the UK but I would be very greatful of any input, from a lawyers point of view? It just (and im sure its the same for everyone) but even when ive paid all my money to get trained up ive been told that there are very few chances to complete the necessary training and so on.

I always thought that a Barrister is what you hold onto when you climb the stairs

Oh wait, that is a Banister, never mind

The process for getting into a legal career in the U.S. is very different than in the U.K.

We don't have chambers - any lawyer may open a law office. We don't have a distinction between barristers and solicitors - any lawyer may provide either (or both) types of service, and litigators do not depend upon chambers or solicitors to issue them cases. We're also very diverse in who goes to law school, so having the "wrong background" for law is much less of an issue.

thank you for the replies. I see how the US way differs from the UK. In one mind im thinking of pursuing a career in forensics but my "dream" job was the barrister/lawyer. After spending my year working in forensics ive had some experience dealing with some defense lawyer/barristers and most were not really familiar with the forensic principles of my job (I'm not saying you guys aren't you might all be really good at forensics) so it lead me to believe, would it be useful to have a lawyer/barrister with a computer forensics background? do you guys come across many cases which involve computer crime in some form?

after 15000 and 2 years worth of training, thats not it in the UK, i have to find a 1 year 'pupillage' in a chambers which are apparently amazing hard to come by and without this training I cant qualify as a barrister - just another reason putting me off

Quote Quoting aaron
    View Post
    The process for getting into a legal career in the U.S. is very different than in the U.K.

We don't have chambers - any lawyer may open a law office. We don't have a distinction between barristers and solicitors - any lawyer may provide either (or both) types of service, and litigators do not depend upon chambers or solicitors to issue them cases. We're also very diverse in who goes to law school, so having the "wrong background" for law is much less of an issue.
    I looked into this very briefly a few months ago.

It seems the British system is changing and that the difference between solicitors and barristers is diminishing.

Default Re: Becoming a Barrister

ah right, i think there should be a change personally. Both route are very difficult but i feel like i may have more chance if i go down the solicitors route.

I know this is probably going to be a stupid question is there a big difference between the 2 roles? I know thats quite hard for you guys to answer as you said previously as its different in the US

1. Sponsored Links