Default 24 Hour Fitness Contract Dispute

My question involves a consumer law issue in the State of: California

Hi, I'm new here and was hoping to get some advice on an issue I recently experienced with 24 Hour Fitness.

It started when I decided to initiate a 7 day trial period with the club and so I went in to apply for it. This 7 day trial was limited to only one facility between certain hours. One of the employees suggested that I sign a contract that would allow me to visit any of the facilities anywhere at anytime, thus removing the above restrictions.

I was in a rush to go to school when the employee informed me of this offer which required me to sign multiple papers. He indicated where to sign so that I could be on my way. The employee didn't disclose to me was that this new trial I was signing up for had a 5 day cancellation period. I was in a rush and left for school under the assumption that I could return within 7 days to cancel this trial.

Upon returning to cancel my membership I was informed that I exceeded my trial period and that my membership fee would be charged.

Is there any possible way to dispute the charge due to the employee not disclosing that I had 5 days to cancel my trial? Keep in mind I was in a rush to make it to school which led me to overlook that statement in the contract. Despite that, I feel cheated since I was in a rush (which I will remember for future reference to never sign a contract whenever I'm in a time-tight situation) and the employee seemed to take advantage of the situation.

What would be my options if I were to dispute the charge to my credit card and withhold payment to 24 Hour Fitness?

Thanks in advance!

Default Re: 24 Hour Fitness Contract Dispute

Quote Quoting hawsome
    View Post
    My question involves a consumer law issue in the State of: California

Hi, I'm new here and was hoping to get some advice on an issue I recently experienced with 24 Hour Fitness.

It started when I decided to initiate a 7 day trial period with the club and so I went in to apply for it. This 7 day trial was limited to only one facility between certain hours. One of the employees suggested that I sign a contract that would allow me to visit any of the facilities anywhere at anytime, thus removing the above restrictions.

I was in a rush to go to school when the employee informed me of this offer which required me to sign multiple papers. He indicated where to sign so that I could be on my way. The employee didn't disclose to me was that this new trial I was signing up for had a 5 day cancellation period. I was in a rush and left for school under the assumption that I could return within 7 days to cancel this trial.

Upon returning to cancel my membership I was informed that I exceeded my trial period and that my membership fee would be charged.

Is there any possible way to dispute the charge due to the employee not disclosing that I had 5 days to cancel my trial? Keep in mind I was in a rush to make it to school which led me to overlook that statement in the contract. Despite that, I feel cheated since I was in a rush (which I will remember for future reference to never sign a contract whenever I'm in a time-tight situation) and the employee seemed to take advantage of the situation.

What would be my options if I were to dispute the charge to my credit card and withhold payment to 24 Hour Fitness?

Thanks in advance!

They did a similar thing to me, I was a member there for 8 YEARS. I moved out of state and they refused to cancel my membership (no contract) .

They have a form for you to fill out and fax to the main office. I did that 9 times. After 8 months of getting no where, I reported my credit card lost, paid off my credit card (lost so they could not keep charging me)

I then took them to small claims court for a refund of all the months I was charged for since my first fax to them to terminate.

They sent me a refund check for the 8 months before trial.

Now I have a Bowflex LOL no more gym memberships for me

I agree, it is a horrible way to do business. I signed a contract with them for 2 years, but stayed with them for what was a month to month renewal for an additional 6 years. Ok so now I look like Superman, but 24 Hour Fitness is not to credit for that

Never ever rush when signing paper work. If you do then you maybe signing up for something you don't want.

Now I believe it is up to the company that you signed the membership with. They may say you still have to pay the full amount of the membership though.

Easiest thing to do is use what you have that way money is not wasted. Then when it is time to renew decline.

Darn, guess I'm SOL. What do you think they'd do if I withheld payment? Thanks for the replies

They would suspend your membership for nonpayment, turn your account over to a collection agency, and possibly send it to arbitration or court.

These (gym accounts, not 24 Hour Fitness) were some of the hardest accounts that I ever collected on back in the day. We usually kept them for 2-3 months and turned them over to legal along with credit reports and any other information we may have obtained, such as property records. About 1 in 10 went to legal for lawsuits. I would not be surprised if they later sell the account for a nickel on the dollar to LVNV Funding or NCO or one of these other Junk Debt Buyers.

You might get some traction by asking for the employees full name and manager's full name as well as regional director's full name. When they ask note that you are filing an attorney general complaint and just need the names for your State AG (Insert name...I am too lazy to Google it). Generally that will get their attention.

...but you did sign and generally most of these contracts state that only what is in writing is valid, not what an employee sells. ...but if they sold a financing package and are not licensed to sell financing in the state (CA and many CA cities are very pro-consumer) that could be another issue entirely.

Good luck. If that fails then you get to work out for quite a while.

I read the Bally's agreement and cancelled within the 3 days allowed in the 2-week trial. It was funny...2 week trial that required a contract to be signed, but only allowed for 3 days of cancellation once the contract was signed. I found the 3 day notation and cancelled that puppy immediately as well as filed a complaint with the local county officials (the AG does not handle these issues for the Commonwealth, but allows the counties to handle it).

1. Sponsored Links