Default How to Stop Debt Collector Contacts Due to Mistaken Identity

I have been getting calls for approximately 3 years from collections of a person who shares my first and last name but has a different middle initial. I am wondering as to my legal rights because I have politely explained to them many times that I am not him and he is not me. I have never been to college, I spent 9 years in the military and have a great job as a result of that, though I may want to go to school eventually, and this happens to be a university I might like to attend as they offer programs in engineering that would only serve to further the skills I acquired during my service, so part of me does not want to offend. However I have gotten tired of the constant harassment and am considering contacting an attorney. Do I have any rights legally? They want me to verify my social security number by giving it to them, of course with all the phishing scams out there I told them I was not likely to give the number. I have phone records which show hundreds of calls from these agency over the course of this.

Default Re: Mistaken Identity

Is it a single collection agency calling you, or multiple agencies? Are any of the original creditors calling you, or just collection agencies?

It has gone from collection agency to attorney, after I talked with them it's been collection agencies mostly, I have talked to them and they either pass me along to another or call me again themselves. One even called pretending to be his mother, I returned the call because I figured it was plain in-decent for her not to know where her son was. After the initial hello's she tried to lecture me on my responsibilities, at which point I explained to her I was not her son (very suspicious at this point) and asked her to call him and tell him he was in deep trouble. She tried to still play "mom" and I said look mam all due respect I think I know what my own mother sounds like and you missed it by just a little. It dawns on me I probably should have made a trip to radio shack and rigged up a recording device for all of these shenanigans.

You are describing successive contacts for a single debt, or for multiple debts? Please be clear about what is going on.

I apologize, it appears to be a single student loan debt.

You can send a letter to any collection agency that contacts you, telling them not to contact you again (example). Who is the original lender, and have you contacted them about this confusion?

I'm not sure who the origional debt was to. As I can not provide the last four of his social security number they will not give me that information. I have sent back several letters they have mailed to him, written on the front is "not the address of this person". I have also explained it to the people who call on the phone but they will not listen to the idea that they have the wrong person as I will not give them the last four of my social security number to verify I'm not him. I kind of came here seeking advice about the idea that they have been harassing me for 3 years now and if I get an attourney do I have any kind of case for mental anguish etc...

Have you tried ordering copies of your credit report (see annualcreditreport.com for free copies) to see if they offer any information?

We have a credit report program my wife has signed up for, which costs 15 a year or something like that and we can check them at any time. This has not shown up on my credit report as it is under his social security number. I believe I am the recipient of the phone calls because my name was in the phone book in the same metro area as where he attended university. So the only real problem I have is harassing phone calls for someone else's debt

1. Sponsored Links