Default Locked Out

My husband and I are going through the infant stages of a separation. He is refusing to be cooperative with visitation arrangements and financial responsibilities. We have a 6 year old child who's emotional well being needs to be protected! While on a family camping trip with my son, that my husband consented to, I was informed that he changed all the locks at our house and I was no longer aloud back in the house. I am our son's primary caretaker since my husband works many hours per week. So essentially he has kicked us both out. He said our son is welcomed in the house but not me. So he's inadvertantly forcing our child into an unstable living arrangement by having him stay home without me, meanwhile I'm trying to find temporary living with family members. He literally kicked me to the curb and left me without a penny. Isn't it illegal for him to change the locks on me?

Default Re: Locked Out

Quote Quoting kimmydog
    View Post
    My husband and I are going through the infant stages of a separation. He is refusing to be cooperative with visitation arrangements and financial responsibilities. We have a 6 year old child who's emotional well being needs to be protected! While on a family camping trip with my son, that my husband consented to, I was informed that he changed all the locks at our house and I was no longer aloud back in the house. I am our son's primary caretaker since my husband works many hours per week. So essentially he has kicked us both out. He said our son is welcomed in the house but not me. So he's inadvertantly forcing our child into an unstable living arrangement by having him stay home without me, meanwhile I'm trying to find temporary living with family members. He literally kicked me to the curb and left me without a penny. Isn't it illegal for him to change the locks on me?
    What state are you in?

Get to an attorney ASAP. Don't worry about the costs for right now, if he will work on retainer, it's possible the judge may even order your husband to pay for your attorney.

I'm sorry for your situation. (personally, I'd break in, as I doubt he has any right to arbitrarilly kick you out, but, I am not an attorney, so am not advising this!)

In most states it is illegal for him to kick you out of your own residence. If your name is on the mortgage, lease, or deed, then you have an even bigger advantage. If most of your things are still in that house, it is YOUR residence. Just as you don't have a right to kick him out. My husband did that to me in Maryland, I called the cops, and he had to allow me to move back in until one of us volunteered to move out. Call the cops, and get a lawyer.

1. Sponsored Links