Default Partners and Non-Compete Agreements

My question involves business law in the state of: Arizona
    I have been in business the past 9+ months. All agreements between us were verbal (my stupidity and his lack to provide paperwork needed). He has now decided he doesn't want a partner. He/the business owes me monies and before he signs anything showing he owes me these monies he wants me to sign a non-compete agreement. Two questions: 1.) Can a non-compete agreement be made between partners; and 2.) Are non-compete agreements legal and binding at the end of a partnership?
    Any comments or direction is appreciated.

Default Re: Partners and Non-Compete

Yes, a noncompete may be made between partners. Whether or not the agreement is legal and binding depends on its terms. Under Arizona law, in the context of employment contracts but likely applicable to your situation as well, a restrictive covenant is considered unreasonable and unenforceable: "1) if the restraint is greater than necessary to protect the employer's legitimate interest; or 2) if that interest is outweighed by the hardship to the employee and the likely injury to the public."

Thank you for your response. This brings up other questions. Is a non-compete legal if signed after termination? Isn't a non-compete signed in the beginning of a work relationship and with compensation? He just wants me to sign it now so I don't "steal" his clients. Thank you for any input.

You can enter into such an agreement any time you choose.

Default Re: Partners and Non-Compete Agreements

You might want to have a contract attorney in your area review the non-compete before you sign it.

1. Sponsored Links