Default Mechanic Left Wrench in Engine Causing Damage

My question involves a consumer law issue in the State of: Florida.

I took my 2008 Nissan Titan to the dealership for the 7000 mile service that was due. I bought the truck on January 1, 2008 as a demo model with 6,000 miles on it but with the "full warranty" starting from that point. I picked up the truck and drove it home two days later approximately 15 miles. Service was completed 6/11/08. Due to high gas prices, I haven't driven the car since.

On Saturday, June 21, we started the car and heard some grinding noise and took it directly to the dealership. When they opened the hood, there was liquid spewed all over the engine. The mechanic came out to see what was wrong and found a foot long socket wrench inside the engine next to the fan. Several hoses were severed (though I'm not sure if this was a result of the tool being left in the engine or carelessness of not having reconnected the hoses while servicing). The dealership states they will fix everything free of charge and will detail the engine. HOWEVER, I am very very angry about this. The car is less than 6 months old and I'm not sure what damage the engine may have sustained due to this gross negligence.

Anyone have any idea of any recourse?
    THANK YOU!

Default Re: Mechanic Left Wrench in Engine Causing Damage, What Can I Do?

I think the dealer has a duty to make you whole again and it appears that they have done that. If any further problems develop you have a warranty.

What exactly are you looking for?

I just called Nissan USA and they asked me the same. I'm requesting a lifetime warranty to cover the stress of fixing anything that may be wrong due to the mechanic's negligence. Additionally I'm requesting a national lifetime warranty that will cover fixes since I'm not really eager to go back to the same dealership.
    Thanks for your reply - I appreciate it!

Sorry, forgot to mention - because as I found out this morning from Nissan - each Nissan dealership is independently owned and operated. The extended warranty that I purchased when I bought the car applies only to that dealership and is not nation-wide (NOTE: A MATTER THAT WAS NOT MENTIONED WHEN PURCHASING THE VEHICLE).

Nissan USA has assigned a regional management representative to review this dealership complaint and will be contacting me by tomorrow.

1. Sponsored Links