Unhappy Can I Get My Money Back Since Car Had Salvaged Title that the Seller Didn't Disclose

My question involves vehicle registration or title in the state of: California
    About a month ago my brother came to town to visit me, while he was here he decided to buy me a car. I know we should have had the car checked out before buying it, but we didn't. To make a long story short: my brother buys the car and gets the title. The guy never told him it had a salvaged title. He gave me the title then he went home. I had the car smogged, it barely passed, but it did pass. Then I went to register it at the DMV and that is when I found out it had a salvaged title. At the time I didn't really know what that meant. I have had problem on top of problem with this car. Yesterday I found out that the sub frame is cracked and the car isn't safe to be on the road period.
    My question is do I have any recourse against the guy that sold the car to my brother? Can he legally sell a car in that condition? Thank you in advance for your help.

Default Re: Can I Get My Money Back Since Car Had Salvaged Title and Seller Didn't Disclose?

See the red "vehicle history" box on the title form:

Did the title your brother received when he bought the car indicated "Salvaged" in the red box?

What representations were made about the condition of the car?

Did your brother sign a bill of sale indicating that he was buying the car "as is"?

Default Re: Can I Get My Money Back Since Car Had Salvaged Title and Seller Didn't Disclose?

Did the title your brother received when he bought the car indicated "Salvaged" in the red box?
    Yes it did, but we did not notice it until we were at the DMV.

What representations were made about the condition of the car?
    The guy told us the car was in good condition with no major defects.

Did your brother sign a bill of sale indicating that he was buying the car "as is"?
    My brother did sign the DMV's REG 262 bill of sale, but no where on there does it say "as-is".

Quote Quoting Sweettoze
    View Post
    Yes it did, but we did not notice it until we were at the DMV.

The guy told us the car was in good condition with no major defects.

My brother did sign the DMV's REG 262 bill of sale, but no where on there does it say "as-is".

It does not have to say sold as is. That can be a verbal condition of the sale. As in if the seller told your brother that the sale is for the car as is. The seller may not known about the crack in the subframe. The title was clearly marked salvage title. But your brother still aggreed with the sale of the vehicle.

Smile Re: Can I Get My Money Back Since Car Had Salvaged Title and Seller Didn't Disclose?

So are you basically telling me, I am screwed?
    I guess I already knew that, I was hoping there might be some special laws or requirements concerning selling a car with a salvaged title. He knew the car had been wrecked and it should have been junked. He clearly pulled one over on me and my brother. I only say "clearly" because hindsight is 20/20.
    Thanks for your answers though.
    Have a great day.

My advice to anyone and everyone. Never buy a vehicle with a salvage title. Unless you own or run a junkyard or metal recycling bussiness.

My advice to anyone and everyone. Never buy a vehicle with a salvage title.
    If we were told it had a salvaged title, or better yet if we had looked ourselves and saw it was a salvaged title, we would have never purchased this car. It is a 1995 Infiniti J30. It's a beautiful car and we paid almost low Kelly blue book for it. Live and learn I suppose.

1. Sponsored Links