Default Shared Driveway

My question involves personal property located in the State of: PA

Hello,

Today i was walking my dog and he led me through a shared driveway. This driveway connects two differents streets together. I was am unsure whether the driveway is deemed private or public as around 5-6 townhouses share the same driveway and residents of the community usually walk through them without hesitation. In the back of my mind, i assumed that even if it were private, that the owners wouldn't mind me simply walking through it. (i am responsible and clean up after my dog) I was wrong. At the very end of the driveway, a resident started verbally abusing me for simply walking my dog through the driveway and threatened to have me arrested. My response to him was a nonchalant "Okay" as he screamed, "don't walk through this driveway". I proceeded to get out to the main street as i was already most of the way there, to which he threatened to have me arrested for walking away from him. I got off the driveway as fast as possible with him still screaming about having me arrested if i stepped foot on his property.

I admit this is my fault as i shouldn't have let my dog choose our route, but i am curious as to the validity of his authority. I was at no times in the grass or anywhere near his house/car. I don't ask this question so that i may bother him in the future but to further educate myself and minamalize unlawful doings.

First of all, does the driveway or any part of it belong to him?
    How many property owner's consent do i need to walk in a driveway such as this? (or how many denials)
    Is there anything i can do about the verbal abuse abeit it was on the driveway.

Thanks in advance

Default Re: Shared Driveway

Quote Quoting inse
    View Post
    My question involves personal property located in the State of: PA

Hello,

Today i was walking my dog and he led me through a shared driveway. This driveway connects two differents streets together. I was am unsure whether the driveway is deemed private or public as around 5-6 townhouses share the same driveway and residents of the community usually walk through them without hesitation. In the back of my mind, i assumed that even if it were private, that the owners wouldn't mind me simply walking through it. (i am responsible and clean up after my dog) I was wrong. At the very end of the driveway, a resident started verbally abusing me for simply walking my dog through the driveway and threatened to have me arrested. My response to him was a nonchalant "Okay" as he screamed, "don't walk through this driveway". I proceeded to get out to the main street as i was already most of the way there, to which he threatened to have me arrested for walking away from him. I got off the driveway as fast as possible with him still screaming about having me arrested if i stepped foot on his property.

I admit this is my fault as i shouldn't have let my dog choose our route, but i am curious as to the validity of his authority. I was at no times in the grass or anywhere near his house/car. I don't ask this question so that i may bother him in the future but to further educate myself and minamalize unlawful doings.

First of all, does the driveway or any part of it belong to him?
    How many property owner's consent do i need to walk in a driveway such as this? (or how many denials)
    Is there anything i can do about the verbal abuse abeit it was on the driveway.

Thanks in advance
    Its public you have every right to walk their unless its in his grass but if he says anything else just flip him the bird and walk as you would he can't have the police come and arrest you for walking on the public driveway.

Because there's nothing more sensible when confronting a "crazy 'get off my driveway' guy" than fanning the flames.

If it's a private driveway, it's private. That, you would have to tell us.

Quote Quoting Mr. Knowitall
    View Post
    Because there's nothing more sensible when confronting a "crazy 'get off my driveway' guy" than fanning the flames.

If it's a private driveway, it's private. That, you would have to tell us.
    well... that's what i'm trying to figure out... if it is actually private..

here's a satellite pic with my route outlined in red

and thanks for the replies

1. Sponsored Links