Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Speeding Ticket In California

My question involves a speeding ticket from the State of: California

I was following my friend from his house to the freeway (first time visit) then police stops me of course being the one in the back.

My citation reads : Speed Approx: 35 PF/Max Spd.: 50

Any way i can contest it?

Default Re: First Ticket Ever (Kern County)

If it's your first ticket you're eligible for traffic school. You would still have to pay the fine and a small fee for the class, but it would keep the charge off your driving record.

You can always contest the ticket if you have the time to attend two court dates and feel you can prove the officer was incorrect. Appearing before the judge may also help reduce the fine since this is your first traffic offense.

What section were you cited for?

From what you wrote, you were going 35 in a 50 ... how is that "speeding"?

- Carl

Quote Quoting cdwjava
    View Post
    What section were you cited for?

From what you wrote, you were going 35 in a 50 ... how is that "speeding"?

- Carl
    section: VC 22350

well i was unsure of what PF/max speed meant... but that is what the citation said .......

Quote Quoting Carez08
    View Post
    section: VC 22350

well i was unsure of what PF/max speed meant... but that is what the citation said .......
    I think the officer got it backwards ... or you read it wrong ...

"PF/MAX" is for the 'prima facie' or 'maximum safe speed, the other is your estimated speed. I suspect he meant to indicate you were doing 35 in a 50.

There are a number of ways to fight a speed citation, but they will take work on your part. You can Google "22350" at this cite and find numerous discussions and direction, or go on line and Google assorted terms related to fighting speed tickets and you will find resources and books dedicated to the subject. Note that any defense will require some work on your part, so it won't be a "fill this out and be done with it" sort of thing.

Traffic school is an option as is attending court and hoping the officer does not show.

- Carl

Or, you can always hope the judge reads the ticket the same way that Carl did.

Quote Quoting cyjeff
    View Post
    Or, you can always hope the judge reads the ticket the same way that Carl did.
    Unfortunately for the OP, I am afraid the judge is going to go with the officer's testimony rather than what's on the document ... though, if the officer is half asleep and testifies that the defendant wsa cited for 35 in a 50 ... although ... one MIGHT argue that going so slow is "unsafe" as it is a serious obstruction of traffic!

- Carl

[QUOTE=cdwjava;218400]I think the officer got it backwards ... or you read it wrong ...

"PF/MAX" is for the 'prima facie' or 'maximum safe speed, the other is your estimated speed. I suspect he meant to indicate you were doing 35 in a 50.

I case the officer did write it wrong is there even A case?? Because if he meant to put i was going to put 50 in a 35 but indeed put 35 on a 50, i did not break the law right?

Quote Quoting Carez08
    View Post
    I case the officer did write it wrong is there even A case?? Because if he meant to put i was going to put 50 in a 35 but indeed put 35 on a 50, i did not break the law right?
    A clerical error on that portion of the citation is not generally going to be a fatal error. The citation is only the charging document, it is not evidence or proof of anything ... had he gotten the code section wrong, or your name or ID seriously wrong, then it might be a problem. This shouldn't be unless the officer testifies to it that way as well.

- Carl

Quote Quoting cdwjava
    View Post
    Unfortunately for the OP, I am afraid the judge is going to go with the officer's testimony rather than what's on the document ... though, if the officer is half asleep and testifies that the defendant wsa cited for 35 in a 50 ... although ... one MIGHT argue that going so slow is "unsafe" as it is a serious obstruction of traffic!

- Carl
    that maybe... Another question i have is, since my case was transfered from kern county to LA county because of residence (or because i am a minor and resident of LA County) will the officer be there?

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast