Default Medical Malpractice?

My question involves medical malpractice in the state of: NY

Hey everyone. I just want to say up front thank you for any advice...
    My question is does any of this sound like medical malpractice?

Pregnancy: Found out I was pregnant around 4 weeks. I had to have the HCG levels checked every 2 days for a week or so after that to make sure it was a viable pregnancy because my initial numbers were very low and then skyrocketed to double the regular for my gestational age. After a week or so of that the doctor ordered a new ultrasound to check on the baby. Everything looked great. Single pregnancy and a strong heartbeat. Next couple months went by with out any issues. At around 20 weeks my blood pressure started to creep up a little. Then it just kept getting higher and higher. I called the doc one day because I didn't feel right. When his nurse took my blood pressure it was 210/120. This has stuck in my head because I know that those numbers are to high. So they did a quick dip urine it came back that I was spilling glucose and protein. I asked the nurse and doc if that was ok, which I knew it was not they told me yes my blood pressure and quick dip test were both fine. I decided that it was time to change doctors even though I was already around 30 weeks. I went to see a new doctor. He did a 24 hour protein and said that I had pre-eclampsia. Everything was ok for around a week then I started to get worse. My vision was blurred and I was seeing stars all the time and I had horrible headaches. I went to the hospital and they did a work up my doctor came in and told me that my liver enzymes were elevated and I had more protein in my urine than the week before. He told me I would be fine to go home and rest. Then about about 2 weeks later I started to have contractions.. I went straight to LD and was given a few shots of trabutiline(sp) and had a test done to check for preterm labor... Test came back negative and my doctor told me I would not be having my daughter within the next 2 weeks... 2 days later went back because the contractions had came back and were alot worse than before. I could not even stand up alone. got to the hospital went straight to LD and was told I was dilated to 1 so they were going to do my c-section right now because I had 3 previous c-sections and they didn't want any other problems. Well I stayed in that room from noon untill around 5:45 when they finally came back... I do not remember anyone coming in before then except some lady to have me fill out the paperwork. During the surgery I told the anesthesiologist I had some back pain. He gave me something in my iv... Then next thing I knew I woke up a few hours later still in recovery. When I was being brought back to my room I passed by the nicu. The nurse gave me a picture of my baby and told me I should wait till I was feeling better to go see her. My husband was pretty much clueless as to what was going on with her. When I was finally able to go see her She was on oxygen (a helmet) and could not suck on a bottle and had an umbilical line, plus another iv site. I was told she had pneumonia and they were doing a sepsis work up. I started to request our medical file and found some very disturbing things just in her discharge summary. The NICU doc who treated her is no longer at the hospital so I could not ask her why so many things were messed up so I went to the paient rep. She was no help all that she did was have the head of the NICU change my records... excuse me ammend as they call it... This doctor was not in the or and did not know what happened. In My daughters discharge summary it stated that they opened me up to do the c-section but then my daughter was born by spontanious vaginal delivery with one vacum pull. I received a letter from the head of the NICU about 3 weeks after my records were ammended and he stated in the letter that her apgar scores did not reflect how she was doing before delivery or 5 minutes later. He then goes on to state that the xray findings were typical of a preterm infant and that the opacity and increased pulmonary vasculator were normal for premature lungs. I had 2 betamethazone shots 2 weeks prior so her lungs at 35 weeks should have been mature right?

Test: I had my Afp done and it came back 1 in 85 she would have down syndrome... Went to special doctor 70 miles away for amnio and was told I didn't need one the doctor just had my due date wrong and they would redraw and use the new results with new due date. Results were normal. 1 hour glucase came back high so I had the 3 hour glucose and that was normal. I had many nst's done and for the last 5 weeks prior to delivery they were almost all either nonreactive or she was tachycardic.. her heartbeat would get up and stay up around 220 beats. I also had a biophysical ultrasound done which showed slow bloodflow through the cord...

My daughters current condition:
    She is 20 months and can not speak. She has tremors when she tries to do a motor task. She has a speech therapyst and physical therapyst who come to our home a few times a week. She had a special ed teacher but myself and the other therapyst and service cordinator felt it was not doing any good so that was discontinued. She is considered globally delayed. She has been to 2 nuerologists. The first one told me there was something def. wrong he just wasn't sure what and that my daughter would at least be mildly mentally handicapped. I wanted a second op and she went to another doc who said she was normal... So I am confused and just want some advice. Thanks in advance to anyone who can help.

Post thought... I did receive a few records of testing that was done in the NICU her glucose levels were consistantly high and her c-reactive protein was extremely high.

Default Re: Medical Malpractice?

I don't have any advice for you regarding this matter because I know very little about medical malpractice, but I did want to mention that your post is a bit confusing. If you clarify a few things it may make it easier for the more knowledgeable members to reply.

I personally am not sure which doctor or doctors you think may have committed malpractice since your post reads like there were mistakes made by nearly everyone involved, so it may help if you clarify specifically where you think the malpractice took place.

Also I wonder, have any of the doctors your child has seen stated that her current condition was in any way caused by the problems you experienced during pregnancy or delivery?

I hope someone has some advice for you, and wish you and your child well.

Quote Quoting AmieRenee1980
    View Post
    I personally am not sure which doctor or doctors you think may have committed malpractice since your post reads like there were mistakes made by nearly everyone involved, so it may help if you clarify specifically where you think the malpractice took place.
    That is just it I am not sure I mean the doctor I had for the first 30 weeks ignored serious signs and symptoms of pre-eclampsia. The second doctor ignored elevated liver enzymes, worsening pre-eclampsia, and fetal distress. Everything from that occured during that pregnancy was not handle properly as far as I am concerned. This was my fourth pregnancy and fourth c-section and the care I received was so substandard it is not even imaginable.

As far as any doctor's who have seen her they all have mixed feelings as to what is wrong. Her pt feels she may have cerabyl palsey, The first nuero doc she saw said it was a wait and see game, and the second nuero said there was nothing wrong with her even though she was globally delayed. She was 1 year old and still not crawling and barely able to sit. I have to get referal's for all re-evals and my insurance co has to approve it first and they don't see any reaso9n right now for a re-eval considering it has only been 8 months since last eval. But she is still on a 5 month old speach level and does not recognize any family memebers has these tremors... I am just getting frusterated with all the crap I have gone through which is as far as I am concerned it is both ob docs who I saw who are accountable for what is wrong with my daughter.. again thanks for any advice/help.

Quote Quoting Autumn25
    View Post
    My question involves medical malpractice in the state of: NY

I started to request our medical file and found some very disturbing things just in her discharge summary. The NICU doc who treated her is no longer at the hospital so I could not ask her why so many things were messed up so I went to the paient rep. She was no help all that she did was have the head of the NICU change my records... excuse me ammend as they call it...
    What did the discharge summary say?

How do you know, for a fact, that the records were changed?

LeaLea

The discharge summary stated that I was brought to the or for a c-section but gave spontanous vaginal delivery with 1 vacum pull. I went to the patient rep about this because I knew I had been opened up for the c-section because my belly was glued back together. The head of the NICU wrote me a letter stating that he ammended the discharge summary to say that I had a c-section with 1 vacum pull. He then went on to state that my daughters lungs were immature and that was the reason for the findings on the XRAYS not pneumonia. The head of the NICU was not in the or when my daughter was born nor did he have any part in my daughters care.

Quote Quoting Autumn25
    View Post
    LeaLea

The discharge summary stated that I was brought to the or for a c-section but gave spontanous vaginal delivery with 1 vacum pull. I went to the patient rep about this because I knew I had been opened up for the c-section because my belly was glued back together. The head of the NICU wrote me a letter stating that he ammended the discharge summary to say that I had a c-section with 1 vacum pull.

OK, your record was appropriately ammended. The mistake was probably made during dictation. It happens.

He then went on to state that my daughters lungs were immature and that was the reason for the findings on the XRAYS not pneumonia. The head of the NICU was not in the or when my daughter was born nor did he have any part in my daughters care.

Your daughter may have developed pneumonia because her lungs were immature and not able to properly exchange oxygen and carbon dioxide. Even though you had the injections before your daughter's birth, the fact remains that she was a premie and there is no guarantee that her lungs would have been fully matured.

At 20 months, it is difficult, at best, to diagnose/pinpoint developmental delays and their future impact. Further testing should, and probably will, be done when she turns 3.

Hope this information is helpful. Good luck.

Medical malpractice is all too common in today's news, and your's is a perfect case of such. People on these forums can only help so much, so you are best seeking legal advice.

1. Sponsored Links