Default Moving To California With Children

My question involves a child custody case from the State of: North Carolina

An acquaintance is planning to move to California to be with her current boyfriend. She currently lives with her ex-boyfriends parents. Her ex has never contributed monetarily to the expense of raising their children. Her new boyfriend has promised to help her raise her children.

Neither she nor her children's father have legal custody of the children. What must she do before she gives her ex and his family the Sayonara to avoid future disputes of custody issues?

thx

Officially across the country from where I've been all my life

Default Re: Leaving To California With 2 Children

Now isn't this funny. In one thread your girlfriend is leaving CA to come live with you in NC. Now here, your "acquaintance" is leaving NC to go to CA.

In both cases, until the children are 18, the ex has the ability to sue her for custody of the children - and unless there has been a legal adjudication of paternity, mom has custody.

Hi CourtClerk,

I just did it that way to separate the issues of me in California and her in North Carolina. Yes it's my girlfriend and she's coming here. Thank you for your answer it was very helpful. One question, why didn't you say judgment instead of "adjudication"? I had to google adjudication.

Quote Quoting tenantweary
    View Post
    Hi CourtClerk,

I just did it that way to separate the issues of me in California and her in North Carolina. Yes it's my girlfriend and she's coming here. Thank you for your answer it was very helpful. One question, why didn't you say judgment instead of "adjudication"? I had to google adjudication.
    Please keep in mind that Dad can petition the courts for the return of the children to NC. Your girlfriend should get permission from the courts BEFORE moving.

panther10758 Guest

If neither she nor Father has legal custody then who does? this is not smart move my Mom for several reasons. State hold jurisdiction meanng Dad can petition court and Mom will either have to come back for court or risk losing custody battle. furthermore since Mom is creating the distance for no real reason other than to shack up with current BF the brunt if not all of the cost to transport for visits will be on Mom. Mom or Dad needs to get to court before the move and get some court rulings

Smile Re: Moving To California With Children

BayStateGirl and Panther10758 both addressed what I was concerned about. That really clarified my concerns, but having no kids or having never been married I didn't know the language to express my specific concerns.

Yes, I'll have her petition the courts before she does this move.

Thank you all so much for this feedback.

TenantWeary

1. Sponsored Links