Default Medical Malpractice Or Violation Of Standard Of Care?

Warning, this is very long:

Hi all, my name is Tia and I live in the state of Illinois. I have been with my former PCP for approximately 5 years. In the beginning I really like her because she was friendly and she listened. After some time, I noticed she appeared to be lacking in her skills and never really seemed to have a good reason for whatever my complaints were. However, I stuck with her because I didn't want to start over again with another physician.

I am a person that has multiple symptoms that coincide with one another, therefore I sought out the advise of my PCP. During my last visit with this provider, she abruptly instructed me to pick my top two symptoms. Needless to say, I was shocked. I advised her that I had about 30 symptoms going on at the same time and then I questioned how she was to give me an accurate diagnosis. At this time, I decided that she was no longer anyone that I wanted to put my trust in so I found another PCP.

I made a complaint with my health insurance company about the incident. Soon after my complaint, I received a letter from my former provider indicating that I had been discharged.

In any event, recently, I went to ER with stomach related issues, dark stools, shortness of breath and chest pain. Medical professionals administered proper testing which included a battery of blood work, EKG, Chest x-ray and because they were concerned about my chest pain a ct of the chest was also done. Then, I was admitted. The very next day, the cardiologist came to see me and he informed me that my heart was extremely large and that he wanted to do further testing. A echo cardio graham and a stress test were performed and I was advised that the left ventricular ejection fraction was at 30% and that this was a serious related health issue and unless I followed doctors orders a stick low fat diet and exercised I would go into heart failure or simply die.

I along with the medical providers was absolutely shocked over this news. And then, I recall that I had had an echo cardiogram, stress test and a angiogram several years back and that at that time the results indicated my ejection fraction to be at 55%. Normal ejection fraction is 65-70%. This information was shared with me but at no time was I ever informed that if left alone that this could be detrimental to my health.

My official diagnosis is cardiomyapathy. In addition to this diagnosis they also discovered that I had sleep apnea, high blood pressure, acute gastritis, esophagi is, haital hernia, glaucoma and an autoimmune disorder. I have complained to my former physician of extreme fatigue, dizziness, blurred vision, chest pain for several years and her answer was always the same, "you've always been like that" but she never did anything about it. I truly believe that my symptoms were related to the ejection fraction slowly dissipating.

By the grace of God, I am not dead but in my opinion there has been significant damage because my provider failed to listen, recognize signs and symptoms and then act accordingly.

Here is a letter that I sent to provider:

April 22, 2008

Sandy Tsai-Yoo

716 S Milwaukee Avenue

Libertyville, IL 60048

Dear Mrs. Sandy Tsai-Yoo,

It has come to my attention that you have dismissed me from obtaining medical services from you or any other provider within the LMG medical group. I find this decision shocking, totally inappropriate, unethical and highly unprofessional of you.

As a patient, I came to you on more than one occasion experiencing multiple symptoms and was very ill. I put my faith, trust and life in your hands and I do not feel that I received adequate treatment from you during these visits.

Your conduct during my last visit with you left me very disappointed, disheartened and unsatisfied. I felt disrespected and insulted by your rude comments and the fact that you seem to have no problem showing your personal disdain for me. This is how I feel....as a patient of YOURS. I questioned whether or not I could even trust my health being in your hands.

As a medical provider, you need to be more empathic to every patient’s situation regardless of your time frames. We are not numbers we are real people with real problems. NEVER should a patient ever be made to feel less than adequate or that our issues are not important to you. And, you never should tell any patient that “you only have fifteen minutes and that it is impossible for you to hear all of their issues.” How can you give an accurate diagnosis without all the facts? And what happened to your oath to DO NO HARM?

Furthermore, your decision to dismiss me is clearly retaliation stemming from a complaint I made regarding your unethical behavior to Cigna Healthcare. It is quite clear; your decision was vindictive which makes you petty woman. You should be ashamed of yourself!!!!

By the grace of God, I have enough common sense to take my healthcare concerns into my own hands; I now have an excellent team of competent doctors. I have now been diagnosed properly and am receiving adequate treatment, no thanks to the likes of you.

In any event; any medical bills that I have incurred with your office will not be paid. As you are aware; I am in the healthcare industry, I shall do my very best to inform others of your impersonal and inept bedside manor. I will also be filing a formal complaint against you with proper authorities.

Even though I received poor quality care from you, it is my sincere hope for you in this life that you never run into anyone such as yourself. I would not want anyone, even you, feeling as I have felt at your hands.

Regards,

Tia Thorne

I recieved a recent call from someone representing this office regarding my account in response to that call, I forwared this letter to the attention of the office manager:

Tia Thorne

May 30, 2008

Sherri Jump

Business office Manager LMG

716 S. Milwaukee Avenue

Libertyville, IL 60048

Dear Sherrie:

This letter is in response to a voicemail that I received yesterday from someone claiming to represent your organization by the name of Veronica. Please review attached document intended for Dr Sandra Tsai-Yoo.

The above mentioned provider failed miserably to listen, diagnosis and treatment multiple life-threatening medical conditions (Sleep Apnea, cardiomyapathy with an ejection fraction of 30%, high blood pressure, a mixed connective tissue disorder and glaucoma) all while under her direct care.

During my last visit, I was instructed to pick my top two symptoms as she didn’t have time to listen to all of my complaints. It is the duty of any medical provider to be able to recognize signs and symptoms of certain medical conditions and act accordingly. This was NOT the case, as she couldn’t be burdened with the facts! Instead, I was carelessly dismissed…..

It is my understanding that I have a current balance with your organization in the amount of $288.05. I have absolutely NO INTENTION of paying any part of the balance owed!

This letter serves as a formal, written request for your office or any office representing your organization to cease and assist with any further communications with me or legal action will be sought!

Sincerely,

Tia Thorne

I would like to know the following:

Do I have a case?

What agencies in Illinois can I file a formal complaint about her behavior, actions, etc....

Do, I have to pay this bill?'

Thank you for you time and consideration in this matter.

Default Re: Medical Malpractice Or Violation Of Standard Of Care?

1. You have an open balance for services you Physician provided. You need to pay the bill. Do not expect an answer before getting court papers. You have severed your relationship with the office. Oh, there's an excellent chance they will win a judgement against you. As I said, they provided a service, regardless of whether you were happy with the outcome.

2. If you have (by your own admission) 30 symptoms, including "stomach related issues, dark stools, shortness of breath and chest pain", which require an extensive work up. You should ask for extra time when you call for your apppointment. That way, there is adequate time allotted so your Physician can adequately address ALL of the complaints. Honestly, 15 minutes is simply not enough time for all the complaints you listed. There were other people scheduled for appointments right after yours who would have been inconvenienced because they had to wait for you. Since you claim to be in the healthcare field, I would think you'd know this.

Even at the hospital, your other symptoms took a back seat to your chest pain which was immediately worked up for diagnosis. You, eventually, were also diagnosed with "sleep apnea, high blood pressure, acute gastritis, esophagi is, haital hernia, glaucoma and an autoimmune disorder". It all took well over the 15 minutes you expected your PCP to diagnose and treat the same symptoms.

3. The Physician does not need a reason to discharge you from their practice, although sometimes they will include it in their exit letter. As long as you were given adequate time (usually 30 days) to find another Physician and she agreed to treat you on an emergent basis before the 30 days, she was well within her right to exit you.

You can contact her licensing board and follow instructions to place a complaint.

I'm glad you have been properly diagnosed are being treated by Physicians you trust.

Edit to add: Please remove your name and the name of your Physician from your post.

I am not a medical professional but as I stated, I do work in the industry and an analyst. I have worked for 5 major leaders in the industry for the past 10 years. At each location, there are signs in various locations thought-out the building, signs read "Please be patient and forgive our staff if your appointment is not on schedule" and then it indicates that they value human life and will give you the same consideration, etc...........I have never had a provider tell me she only had 15 mins.

In any case, I agree with your comments about her dismissing me. She was well within her rights, just as I am in seeking another medical provider.

Be that as it may, my questions have yet to be answered:

Do I have a case against this provider for medical negligence or at the very least a violation of the standard of care?

Are there any agencies governing provider that regulate or discipline medical professionals?

I'm also looking for information regarding how to change laws in my state (IL) regarding medical malpractice. Because it seems that providers can do pretty much anything except kill a human being and get away with it. These providers take an oath and she violated her oath in more ways than one which ultimately caused harm!

Quote Quoting allnaturalwoman4u
    View Post
    I am not a medical professional but as I stated, I do work in the industry and an analyst.

You stated you were in the healthcare industry, implying you had knowledge of how things worked.

I have worked for 5 major leaders in the industry for the past 10 years. At each location, there are signs in various locations thought-out the building, signs read "Please be patient and forgive our staff if your appointment is not on schedule" and then it indicates that they value human life and will give you the same consideration, etc...........I have never had a provider tell me she only had 15 mins.

That sign is there incase there is an unexpected medical EMERGENCY during regular office hours.

In any case, I agree with your comments about her dismissing me. She was well within her rights, just as I am in seeking another medical provider.

Do I have a case against this provider for medical negligence or at the very least a violation of the standard of care?

No one can answer that question without reviewing you medical records.

Are there any agencies governing provider that regulate or discipline medical professionals?

As I stated earlier, you can google her licensing board and place a complaint.

I'm also looking for information regarding how to change laws in my state (IL) regarding medical malpractice. Because it seems that providers can do pretty much anything except kill a human being and get away with it. These providers take an oath and she violated her oath in more ways than one which ultimately caused harm!
    You continued to use her as your PCP for "some time" despite your concerns. That indicates you were still confident in her ability as YOUR Physician.

Maybe her skills were not lacking. You came in with multiple, unrelated issues and expected a difinitive diagnosis in a short period of time. Limiting to the 2 issues bothering you the most is not "lacking in her skills". It actually helps with diagnosing the big picture and well within the standard of care.

Quote Quoting allnaturalwoman4u
    View Post
    I am not a medical professional but as I stated, I do work in the industry and an analyst.

You stated you were in the healthcare industry, implying you had knowledge of how things worked.

I have worked for 5 major leaders in the industry for the past 10 years. At each location, there are signs in various locations thought-out the building, signs read "Please be patient and forgive our staff if your appointment is not on schedule" and then it indicates that they value human life and will give you the same consideration, etc...........I have never had a provider tell me she only had 15 mins.

That sign is there incase there is an unexpected medical EMERGENCY during regular office hours. Appointment times at Primary Care offices are scheduled in 10 ot 15 minute slots. If you tell the scheduler you have several issues, you will be given extra time (and charged for it).

No one can answer that question without reviewing you medical records.

As I stated earlier, you can google her licensing board and place a complaint.

You continued to use her as your PCP for "some time" despite your concerns. That indicates you were still confident in her ability as YOUR Physician.

Maybe her skills were not lacking. You came in with multiple, unrelated issues and expected a difinitive diagnosis in a short period of time. Limiting to the 2 issues bothering you the most is not "lacking in her skills". It actually helps with diagnosing the big picture and well within the standard of care.

1. Sponsored Links