Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Default Re: House Party

Quote Quoting mhalweg
    View Post
    o i am happy. i thought up another question. what if cops show up and say that someone called them and said they saw someone appearing to be underage carrying alcohol into the house? do the cops still have to see something?
    I hope your not going to plan another party. Because if you are, you might as well go down to the police station and introduce yourself to every officer down there.

The police are called and complained to by another tax paying citizen. The police show up to check on the complaint. You answer the door, they tell you why they are there. Then they ask to see ID's, you allow them to come inside and look around. They check id's on all subjects they see, they issue tickets for mip, and what ever else. They leave, you hope they do not return later on.

The police are doing there job. Now you can argue that they could not see in the house all you want. But when you open that door, they can clearly see in the house or building. All they need is to see one person drinking they believe is underage. Yourself being intoxicated answering the door. If your age is questionable that gives them reason to check id's.

sounds good. thank you sir

thought of another question. the cop said that they receieved a noise complaint, am i entitled to know who?

Quote Quoting mhalweg
    View Post
    thought of another question. the cop said that they received a noise complaint, am i entitled to know who?
    If it goes to trial, you can get that information through discovery if it is available. If the caller was "anonymous" you'll be out of luck. If they are listed as a witness, then your attorney would know. if there is no court proceeding, then it would be governed by public records laws in your state. Depending on the laws in your state, they may not have to provide that information to you. As a practice, the officers in the field generally are not going to give that information to you even if they DO have it available to them.

It's generally a bad idea to tell a bunch of semi-inebriated partygoers which neighbor ratted them out.

- Carl
    Retired Cal Cop Sergeant & Teacher

Seek justice,
    Love mercy,
    Walk humbly with your God

-- Courageous, by Casting Crowns ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkM-gDcmJeM

thx for the info. i have another couple questions.

is it a crime to hide underagers in closets etc if the cops are about to come in?

can i get a ticket if i am hosting a party but not providing any underagers with alcohol?

thanks

Quote Quoting mhalweg
    View Post
    thx for the info. i have another couple questions.

is it a crime to hide underagers in closets etc if the cops are about to come in?
    It depends on your state. In mine, we might charge you with resisting, delaying or obstructing a peace officer ... and, perhaps, contributing to the delinquency of a minor, etc. In that case, the kid gets turned over to mom and you go to jail.

can i get a ticket if i am hosting a party but not providing any underagers with alcohol?
    Depending on state law, yes. You don't get a free pass for being the responsible adult and then permitting kids to drink. We call that a "crime".

- Carl

thanks[/QUOTE]
    Retired Cal Cop Sergeant & Teacher

Seek justice,
    Love mercy,
    Walk humbly with your God

-- Courageous, by Casting Crowns ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkM-gDcmJeM

To further what BigCountry said: "Remember that your actions today can decide your future for tomorrow."

Remember that your actions today can decide someone's future for them tomorrow.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3