Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Re: House Party

Quote Quoting mhalweg
    View Post
    okay. thanks for all the help
    No problem, just please think about it before doing anything. Use common sense and usually you will never have serious problems with the law.

Quote Quoting bigcountrysg
    View Post
    No problem, just please think about it before doing anything. Use common sense and usually you will never have serious problems with the law.
    You are right Big. If a minor were to leave intoxicated and cause harm to another or die from alcohol consumption on or off the premises, there would be a big time lawsuit against the HOST, such as Dram shop laws provide.

Criminal sanctions may/would be the LEAST of worries, depending on the degree of facts that is!!

yeah so i hosted the party. the cops said that they received a noise compalint. i know it wasn't because of the music or anything. i think it was just that a neighbor didn't like someone parking in front of their house and heard a door slam or something, but anyways . . .

the cops came. i was not sober. they said that they had received a noise complaint and when one of the officers walked around the house and shinned his flashlight at someone smoking in the back yard he ran back into the house. isn't that natural human behavior? you scare the hell out of someone they aren't going to just sit there.

so the officer told me i could either be ticketed for $500 or so for something (i don't remember for what) or i could let them inside to check id's. i let them in. they handed out $250 tickets to all underagers and i received nothing. they then left.

is this weird that nothing happened to me?
    maybe the $500 would be for the noise complaint? sherrifs responded so maybe that's why it was so high? i've been told before that they can issue higher tickets for traffic offenses . . .

Quote Quoting bigcountrysg
    View Post
    If you answer the door and they see some one that looks to be intoxicated. They can ask to check id. Even if they are responding because of a noise complaint. This has been done numerous times in numerous cities accross the country.

if the person that answers the door (me) appears to have been drinking a little can they just check my id or do they have the right to check everyone's? even if i'm the only one in view?

Quote Quoting mhalweg
    View Post
    if the person that answers the door (me) appears to have been drinking a little can they just check my id or do they have the right to check everyone's? even if i'm the only one in view?
    If this is coming from your other posting about what happened. Well you gave them permission to enter and check ID's. I forewarned you as well as other members about this. Now the fines must be paid.

I have had police come to my house during parties, check id's and received nothing nor did any of my guests. Why because I made sure there was no underage drinking going on.

I have also had parties where the police do not show up. You took the risk the police showed up and issued tickets.

i know that i gave permission. i'm not contesting that. i was just wondering if they even had the right or whatever. does the law allow them to ask to see everyone's id if i'm of age, obviously have been drinking, and i'm the one answering the door and the only one in view? does that smoker running into the house give them just cause?
    i find it hard to believe that a noise disturbance ticket would be $500 for the first offense. I went and spoke with the two houses across the street the next day and they said they didn't hear a thing. one of them also said that there is a sherrif one house down from them. so that sucks.

Quote Quoting mhalweg
    View Post
    i know that i gave permission. i'm not contesting that. i was just wondering if they even had the right or whatever. does the law allow them to ask to see everyone's id if i'm of age, obviously have been drinking, and i'm the one answering the door and the only one in view? does that smoker running into the house give them just cause?
    i find it hard to believe that a noise disturbance ticket would be $500 for the first offense. I went and spoke with the two houses across the street the next day and they said they didn't hear a thing. one of them also said that there is a sherrif one house down from them. so that sucks.
    If there is a party somewhere, and people attending the party are drinking. If the people that are drinking look young then yes they have enough to check id's. But all that does not matter, because they asked and you permitted. Being the host and I believe the owner of the property. You are suppose to be in control of your house guests. Which if yourself is intoxicated then that is pretty hard to do.

This is just like if they asked to search your house. You conscented there for you gave the officers permission to search. Now if you refused or denied, then there is nothing stopping the officers for waiting for your guests to leave then stop them and hit them for possible dui, mip, and who knows what other charges.

Thanks for the info

Just be happy you did not get cited for contributing to the deliquency of a minor.

o i am happy. i thought up another question. what if cops show up and say that someone called them and said they saw someone appearing to be underage carrying alcohol into the house? do the cops still have to see something?

1. Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast