Default Following Too Close And Expired Driver's License

My question involves a traffic ticket from the state of: VA

I got into an accident for following too close. I was taking an exit ramp (downhill) and someone cut me off and then there was a yield sign at the bottom. The person yielded and I was slowing down since there was a bit of distance between us and then they started to move.

I looked to my left to see if there were cars coming when I was on the ramp so that I would know if there were any cars coming since it is a bit hard to see if there are cars coming or not where the yield sign is at. I looked in front of me and I noticed that the person had stopped even though there were no cars coming. I slammed on my brakes but couldn't avoid hitting them. Not much damage was done to their car but a lot of damage was done to mine.

Since I have never had a ticket or an accident before and I have a good driving record, what is the probability that the case will be dismissed and I will get driving school instead?

Also, I got a ticket for "no valid driver's license." I had my license with me but I didn't know that it had expired. It was not my intention to drive without a valid license. DMV didn't send any notices to me or my household and I haven't had to use my license for anything lately since I am a student and we use our student IDs on campus. I also haven't traveled anywhere much since I mostly stay on campus during the school year.
    I got my license renewed the day of the accident. What is the likelihood that the judge will drop that charge? Or what is the likely penalty?

Thanks a lot for all of your help!

Default Re: Following Too Close And Expired Driver's License

What's the statute cited for the 'no valid driver's license' charge? In most states that's a misdemeanor. If you're charged with a crime, I suggest at least consulting a criminal defense lawyer.

Default Re: Following Too Close And Expired Driver's License

Yes it's a misdemeanor in my state

1. Sponsored Links