Default Company Wants To Post My Picture On Website

My question involves labor and employment law for the state of: GA

Our company is redesigning the website. Our brilliant marketing guy wants to place our photos on the website (it is unclear as yet if our names/other info will be included).

I have a BIG problem with this for several reasons, not the least of which is sercurity/safety concerns. I have made it clear to our section supervisor that I STRONGLY object to this and do NOT wish to do so.

My question is this:

Can they force me to do this on threat of losing my job? I've tried to research case law re: right to privacy issues, as this seems to fall under this, but no cases I've read deal specifically with this. Of course, I don't have access that those in legal profession/law students do.

I hope someone can offer some help here - my objection/refusal will of course be directly proportional to how much legal ground I have to stand on. Obviously, if they fire me I can file for and likely win unemployment, but that won't reinstate me.

Thanks in advance - AB

Default Re: Company Wants To Post My Picture On Website

Georgia, like nearly every other state, is an at-will employment state.

You can be let go for any reason or no reason at all, and you may quit for the same. So yes, it is entirely possible that refusing to allow your photo on the company website could cost you your job.

If I might enquire - what security concerns do you have? I mean, you leave your house every day, right? People know who you are and what you look like...so why the fuss about a nice headshot of you on the company website?

I could understand being worried if they expected you to put your personal contact info and home address out there, but a professional photo, captioned "Art Blogger - Chief Cat Herder"?

Yes, you can be terminated for refusing to allow your photo on the website. You can be terminated for any reason that is not prohibited by law (ie age, religion, gender) unless you have a bona fide employment contract or CBA to the contrary.

What are your big safety/security concerns?

Quote Quoting artfulblogger
    View Post
    Can they force me to do this on threat of losing my job? I've tried to research case law re: right to privacy issues, as this seems to fall under this, but no cases I've read deal specifically with this. Of course, I don't have access that those in legal profession/law students do.

I hope someone can offer some help here - my objection/refusal will of course be directly proportional to how much legal ground I have to stand on. Obviously, if they fire me I can file for and likely win unemployment, but that won't reinstate me.

Thanks in advance - AB

You are generally talking about the appropriation of a name of likeness.

The Restatement of the Law defines it as thus:

Restatement (Second) of Torts 652C provides:

One who appropriates to his own use or benefit the name or likeness of another is subject to liability to the other for invasion of his privacy.

Does GA have a statutory or common law basis for this?? All states have invasion of privacy as a Tort, yes.

The Restatement, while many courts cite it, is not binding unless that state adheres to the same principle of law.

HOWEVER, I do tend to agree with the others for a few reasons.

First, in my extensive employment law research many years ago, there were several southern states which did NOT recognize a public policy exception to employment discharge, GA, AL and FL were 3, if I am not mistaken.

Do they recognize such exceptions now?? I don't know!!

Second, even if such statutory or common law existed, does it apply to the master-servant relationship???

The Restatement is a series of volumes of US case law, such as American Jurisprudence and Corpus Juris Secundum and ALR (Amercican law reports).

I had ocassion to read case law in all 4 doing research, I am partial to American Jurisprudence. The first series was titled Master-Servant, AJ 2nd I believe simply titles it Employment-labor law???

This may be a good volme to read through. The index covers all ranges of a particular topic of employment law.

For your legal edification you can visit a law school law library of a College/University and ask where you can find the Restatement and read up, also GA's volumes of Jurisprudence. West Publishing co. may print them under thier KEY # series.

Bottom line, while the Q is not an academic one to decipher, IMO, YES, they can use your image/likeness and terminate you if you refuse.

Only an attorney licensed in GA can accurately advise.

1. Sponsored Links