Default Summer Parenting Time

My question involves a child custody case from the State of:Minnesota

My CO states that I am to have reasonable visitation. To my this means 1/2 of the kids summer and school vacations. The CP apparently think this means zero.

Our children want to spend the summer with me and have been bugging my Ex. I requested 7 weeks (half the kids summer vacation, Ex says he will only allow 4 weeks).

If I buy tickets and he puts the kids on the plane - if I keep them the extra 3 weeks what kind of trouble would I get into? Again the CO just says reasonable visitation, it does not give dates or anything that either Ex or I can legally enforce/stand on. If Ex tries to get the police involved claiming I'm abducting I can show them the return flight tickets. And by "trouble" I mean with police, etc.

Of course after all this I would need to go back to court for a order to clarify and I am prepared to do that - I just don't want to lose another summer with the kids.

Default Re: Summer Parenting Time

Quote Quoting sharenp
    View Post
    My question involves a child custody case from the State of:Minnesota

My CO states that I am to have reasonable visitation. To my this means 1/2 of the kids summer and school vacations. The CP apparently think this means zero.

Our children want to spend the summer with me and have been bugging my Ex. I requested 7 weeks (half the kids summer vacation, Ex says he will only allow 4 weeks).

If I buy tickets and he puts the kids on the plane - if I keep them the extra 3 weeks what kind of trouble would I get into? Again the CO just says reasonable visitation, it does not give dates or anything that either Ex or I can legally enforce/stand on. If Ex tries to get the police involved claiming I'm abducting I can show them the return flight tickets. And by "trouble" I mean with police, etc.

Of course after all this I would need to go back to court for a order to clarify and I am prepared to do that - I just don't want to lose another summer with the kids.
    Yes, you need to go back to court for clarification. The order should have specific days and times.

Yes, you need to go back to court for clarification. The order should have specific days and times
    I know this, as I stated in my original post. My question was would I get into any legal trouble if I kept the kids for a full 7 weeks vs the 4 ex wants.

Quote Quoting sharenp
    View Post
    Um, yeah. You could get in trouble. The return ticket implies a return date. If the kids are not on the plane, your ex could claim you were "taking" them. Someone may listen even though it's a civil matter.

No, there isn't any enforceble dates to persue or protect you, but I'd err on the side of caution.

Modify the custody order to protect your rights. Waiting this late was not wise.

1. Sponsored Links