Default Ex-Girlfriend Threatening To Cut Or Bruise Herself And Call Cops

My question involves criminal law for the state of New York.

My son broke up with his girlfriend four days ago. She is upset about this. She is threatening my son that she is going to cut herself/bruise herself and call the police to say that he did it to her. Can he be arrested for something he didn't do even if she says that he did it?

Any suggestions? Should my son have the police come to our house and file a complaint against her and tell them that she said this to him?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Kamm

Default Re: Ex-Girlfriend Threatening To Cut Or Bruise Herself And Call Cops

He needs to stay away from her as much as possible, and hopefully attend places where there are plenty of witnesses to his being anywhere else but with her. If he goes to meet her after these threats, he is a fool.

He can always try to call the police, but chances are good they won't do much. After all, he could be trying to set a stage for him actually beating her up and is seeking to cast doubt on her report after it happens. But, they might head out to talk to her - you just don't know.

At the very least, he needs to stay far away from her and no longer call and talk to her.

- Carl
    Retired Cal Cop Sergeant & Teacher

Seek justice,
    Love mercy,
    Walk humbly with your God

-- Courageous, by Casting Crowns ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkM-gDcmJeM

Quote Quoting cdwjava
    View Post
    He needs to stay away from her as much as possible, and hopefully attend places where there are plenty of witnesses to his being anywhere else but with her. If he goes to meet her after these threats, he is a fool.

He can always try to call the police, but chances are good they won't do much. After all, he could be trying to set a stage for him actually beating her up and is seeking to cast doubt on her report after it happens. But, they might head out to talk to her - you just don't know.

At the very least, he needs to stay far away from her and no longer call and talk to her.

- Carl
    Thanks so much, Carl. I have given your advise to my son. I was a bit leary about calling the police about this, thinking the same thing that you wrote. Very confusing. Can he be arrested, though, if she does this to herself and blames him?

You did not say how old your son or his Xgf are. Personally - if they were under 18 I'd call her parents... actually - even if they are adults I'd probably call her parents. The girl has 'issues'.

Quote Quoting 525601minutes
    View Post
    You did not say how old your son or his Xgf are. Personally - if they were under 18 I'd call her parents... actually - even if they are adults I'd probably call her parents. The girl has 'issues'.

My son just turned 19 and his ex-girlfriend is 18. I thought of calling her parents. I'm just shocked and confused right now and don't know what to do (apparently, that's why I'm seeking advice here!). Thank you!

Quote Quoting Kamm
    View Post
    Can he be arrested, though, if she does this to herself and blames him?
    CAN he be arrested? Sure. Depending on the story and any evidence, he might be. A conviction would be more difficult.

An arrest can be made based upon a lower standard than a conviction. So, even if the DA would never take the case to court, the police could still make an arrest provided they have sufficient probable cause to believe a crime occurred and the defendant committed the crime.

- Carl
    Retired Cal Cop Sergeant & Teacher

Seek justice,
    Love mercy,
    Walk humbly with your God

-- Courageous, by Casting Crowns ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkM-gDcmJeM

1. Sponsored Links